Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tell all Tuesday.....Favorite Teacher or Class

This may sound cheesy, but by far my favorite/best teacher was/is my Mother. She was formally educated as a teacher and taught for several years, but that could never compare to the teaching that was done in our home.

She taught me the most important lessons in life. She taught me how to treat people. My Mom is loving, friendly, engaging, and always willing to help people.
I may have mentioned before how growing up it always seemed we had someone other than immediate family living with us. We had several exchange students, relatives, refugees, unwed mothers, and complete strangers in and out of our home.
She treats everyone with respect and can probably remember the name of everyone she has ever met. My Mom makes everyone feel like her friend, and truly considers all people she interacts with as such. I find myself striking up conversation with people I am in line with at the store, airport, etc. That is just like my Mother. She is always genuinely interested in the person she is talking to. I wish I was like her in more ways that just being a "talker".
My Mom (and Dad of course) taught us that experiences are more important than things. My parents worked hard to get us experiences in life that would teach us forever, rather than buy us things that wouldn't last. I was able to be in commercials, print ads, movies, serve as a Senate Page in Washington D.C. for a semester in High School, go on Study Abroad, and many other things because of my Mothers diligence in seeking out opportunities.
We had weekly "family council" and I was pretty much in charge of buying all my wants by age 12. I was 14 when I got my first "real" job other than babysitting. My Mom always made me feel capable and let me figure things out for myself.
I was always encouraged to speak my mind, and respect others for their different opinions. This has served me well in the sense that I LOVE people who are different from me. I have to remember sometimes though that not all people are so eager to hear opinions that are different from theirs. I'm sure I've offended people (unintentionally) by my eagerness to engage in what I consider stimulating conversation.
I could go on and on, but you get the picture. Here are some real pictures to enjoy!
This is the first time my older sisters saw me in the Hospital right after I was born. I LOVE this picture. We are all gazing so intently at each other. My Mom made us feel so special and like we could do ANYTHING.
This picture was taken at girls camp when I was in High School. We had all braided our hair and my Mom was such a good sport she let us try to braid her very short hair. This too is one of my favorite pictures because this is how my my Mom ALWAYS looks at me. (or at least that how I feel)
I still have so much to learn about life, being a mother, and a good person, but the lessons my Mother taught me have given me the best foundation anyone could ask for.
There are many things we learn in school and throughout life, but the lessons taught to me by my Mother are the ones that endure forever.

12 comments:

Marcie said...

What a great post! I love your pictures- they couldn't be any more perfect- you can just feel the love and joy by looking at them.

Amy said...

This is absolutely beautiful! The pictures say so much about the love in your family. I so wish I could just strike up a conversation with anyone. Really, I just wish I could be a "talker." :)

Sheri said...

Those are some of the sweetest words you said about your MOM. You are very blessed to be able so recgonize what your mom has taught you. Love the picture of the two of you.

Sheri

Shawni said...

Kara, you are so sweet....and I agree, so is your wonderful mother. I totally feel so loved when I'm around her. She's amazing. I bet she's so darn thankful to have you as a daughter as well. Being a mother I always wonder what my kids will think of me when they're grown up, and whether they'll realize how much I dearly love them. Yours must be so thankful to know you know how much she adored you and still does.

By the way, who the heck got Heather and Shauna all dressed up and hair done when your mom was in the hospital? They look darling. Whenever my kids come visit me with a new baby their hair and outfits are pretty hilarious. Does your dad have a hidden talent that I don't know about?

Anonymous said...

This is a sweet post. You ar emaking me feel bad for being hard on my mother. I also have a great mother who talk me how to be a good mom and good person. I need to be more patient...with her. And I also love that photo of you and your sisters meeting for the first time. So neat.

Sue said...

I'm sure your mom will love reading this post. Ever since I've known you, I've always known how much you love your mom. You always talk so wonderfully about her. She's blessed to have as her daughter, as you are blessed to have her as your mother.

Chrissy, said...

Thanks for this post. I love reading it I've read i tree times. I can feel the love and respect you have for your Mom. Reading it makes me want to be a better Mom and person. I really want my girls to learn the things you did growing up.

Kirkland's said...

Kara, I love all the old pictures you have on hand, very impressive. You and your mom are so sweet!

Tiffany said...

I LOVE this and wish I had picked my mom too because she clearly was my greatest teacher too. She also was a school teacher like your mom. Your mom sounds wonderful and amazing -- I actually started to cry at the end I was so touched by the love I can tell your family experienced because of your mom. It's so true that the mom sets the tone of the home. And, I'd say that she certainly did a great job in raising you. I love that you can attribute her for specific things you learned -- being open to different opinions, talking to anyone, etc. I think you're going to be great just like her!

Tiffany said...

One more thing . . . I love the picture of your mom at the top. What a beautiful woman and fun picture!

Nichols Family said...

Agreed! Your mom is one of my favorite Aunts/people ever! I love that we still keep in touch with her often. You are sooooo super blessed with an awesome family and an awesome one of your own. Cute cute pics and heartfelt post.

MaryClaire Brown said...

i don't know if it's just the postpartum hormones or if it's that i get teary when i think about how amazing your mom is...probably the latter. your mom really is one of the most amazing people, and i feel blessed to know her. i too wish i could be more like her. tell aunt helen i love her.