Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Tell all Tuesday - You Can Quote Me On That!

I did a post recently called "Probably the Best Quote Ever". So click on the title if you want to read that one. But here is another one that I think of often. It is from Jenkin Lloyd Jones, but most often associated with President Gordon B. Hinckley. He is amazing. I want his perspective. I'm also going to add one more that I just came across recently from the late Elder Neal A. Maxwell. Can you tell what stage of my life I am in by these two quotes? "Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just like people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."
Our lives cannot be both faith-filled and stress free...Therefore, how can you and I really expect to glide naively through life, as if to say, Lord, give me experience, but not grief, not sorrow, not pain, not opposition, not betrayal, and certainly not to be forsaken. Keep from me, Lord, all those experiences which made Thee what Thou art! Then let me come and dwell with Thee and fully share Thy joy!"

15 comments:

Amy said...

These are incredible quotes...and exactly what I needed to hear at this very moment. Thanks a million!

Wendi said...

Very powerful messages there! And coming from them, you know that they know what they're talking about!

Love your quotes! Thanks for sharing!

And as a fellow mommy in the trenches, I feel your pain! I think I'm in that stage of life too! Thanks for the encouraging quotes.

Marcie said...

Very inspiring- thanks Kara!

smithfam said...

Thank you for posting those quotes. I needed them this morning as I start my "crazy" day.

Unknown said...

A quote I heard recently that I liked and have repeated often through the summer -
Einstein said, "Life is like a bicycle - you have to keep moving forward to keep your balance."

NOt as spiritual as yours, but short and sweet.

Sorefam said...

Kara,
Good things to remember. I can definitely relate to the stage in life you are talking about! But no matter who I talk to, they always say, "enjoy these days with little ones because they go by so fast" and I'm trying to remember that. I have two quotes I've heard recently that I think are just great.
#1 "Life is hell, but it's beautiful". Pardon the language, but I just love this one. It's so candid.
#2. "The days are long but the years go fast"--SO true of life with little ones.

stacy said...

my mom has this on her fridge. one day i was in meltdown mode about my marriage and when she read this to me it really put me at ease. thanks for sharing this i just love it.

Sally said...

Love your picks. Especially the first! I am going to copy that one down. I need to be more thankful about the "RIDE"

Tiffany said...

What great quotes! Like Sally, I'm going to copy Pres. Hinckley's quote. It's a great reminder and definitely something to teach our kids in this era where everybody expects so much.

RoRo2 said...

This was a great TTA week, I love all the quotes I'm reading. I really really love Elder Maxwell I have read a lot of his talks and some of his books recently. Thanks for those two quotes, more to add to my bullentin board.

Celia Fae said...

James Taylor, who isn't as spiritual as Gord, said it in a song. "The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." I have to chant it to myself sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I have had that quote from President Hinckley on my fridge for almost ten years now. It is my favorite too! Great minds think alike.

Anonymous said...

Love both quotes and both men!
Lena

(I have really got to get my password figured out!)

crystal said...

Oh, how I needed that quote by Elder Maxwell. You have no idea. THANK YOU.

(this is why i love to make blogging friends...you don't even know it, but you've lifted the spirit of a fellow mommy that you don't even know!)

This quote SPOKE to me at a time when I needed it badly. Thanks so much!

Ashley said...

These are amazing quotes Kara. Thanks so much for sharing. Like some of your friends, I'm going to put Prez Hinckley's on my fridge. It's a good reminder about perspective and unrealistic expecations that we all have. Thank you!