Sunday, September 30, 2007

Dilemma



I know this is a very un-Sunday-like post. But I am starting to realize that I may need something to wear on our trip to Hawaii next week. We are going for the National Oral Surgery conference and I am SO excited about it. I am quite the fashion novice, and have proved that for years.


Example #1 I bought only one dress for a dance in High School, and it was my senior year. Thank goodness for lots of friends with cute clothes who are willing to share!!


Example #2 On my wedding day, I got up, took a shower as usual, dried my hair as usual, did my make-up as usual, got dressed, went to the temple, and got married. I then sported my headband veil and headed out for all the pictures. I was unaware at any time that this might be the day to have someone with a little bit of style and knowledge do something fun with my hair, and do some appropriate make-up.


Anyway, I have realized that many people go out and get a few new outfits for a big trip like this and it leaves me wondering what I should do. I am sure I can get by with what I've got for most everything except for a couple of possible fancy dinner/dance events. Since I usually wear some sort of jersey knit dress, or lame skirt/shirt combo to church every week, I figure this might be the event to buy something nice and fun for.


Here is where you come in. I have my eye on two Anthropologie numbers and want everyone's vote. I love this store SO MUCH and might actually let myself splurge this time. So, do you like the polka-dot, or the ruffles? I'm waiting with bated breath!!

24 comments:

RoRo2 said...

I really like the polka-dot one, I can just picture it in Hawaii! Have fun!

Sally said...

I love, love, love the first one! It is just too fun. But you know my philosophy....buy them BOTH! You deserve it and one dress = one round of golf :)

Need me to justify anything else for you?

Celia Fae said...

I vote for the big yellow sash dress. It is adorable. But really the previous commenter was right: buy both. Hello, oral surgeon? That's the big bucks, baby. I know, I've paid them.

Thanks for your kind words. I enjoy reading you too and I'm always impressed by your posting dedication. Do you ever skip a day?

Amy said...

LOVE the polka dots! That's my vote.

Lisa Cannon said...

I love them both and would buy both to wear there and at home. I too love Anthropologie, it is my fav, besides Nordies!

Kristen said...

ooooh ooooh! polka dots! It's so perfect, especially for Hawaii. That yellow sash is hot. :)

Wendi said...

Love them both, love the top one more for Hawaii. But I'm with Sally, just get both!

Sarah said...

OK... I know what you have gone through to get where you and your hubby are now and YOU totally deserve BOTH dresses. I am so like you in having not bought anything nice for myself ever. I think you should splurge and just enjoy one of each.
Have a great time in Hawaii. Are you leaving the kids home? I hope in four years from now I will be accompanying my hubby to an OMFS conference. Have a great time. Can't wait to hear about it.

ps. do tell which dress you end up getting.

Anonymous said...

The polka dots for sure!!

Sue said...

You couldn't go wrong with either one. I can totally see you in the solid one, it's way cute! If I were choosing for myself, I probably would go with the solid one just because of being a little more conservative, but I would really want the polka dot. The polka dot is so dang cute and a little more fun! Since you love the color yellow the polka dot seems to be the perfect touch with the yellow sash. So, my take is that you are probably drawin to the solid one to make the more conservitive choice, but spoil yourself a little and buy the polka dot and feel so very cute every time you wear it! Now make the purchase and then go find some matching shoes and necklace.

smithfam said...

Polka dot for sure! I love that store also.

Anonymous said...

I love the polka dot--super cute nad fun AND hawaii-ish!! But, I love the black! What the heck-o-rama! Just get them both--I have a feelign that Paul will congratulate you for spending a lot of money :)!
Lena
(hey, if you need black tie, I have a skirt that I wore once last year. It is really cute and simple, and yet formal.)

Lane said...

First, this is all lies. I was your freshman year roommate and borrowed your clothes all the time because you always had cool stuff.

But since you're asking, I say the first dress. It looks more like a night-out dress, and the second looks more casual. But you'll look cute in just about anything!

So jealous you get to go to hawaii! Have fun.

Paige said...

I also say both. Polka dot is cute for Hawaii, but I'm worried that the denim ruffles might be too hot for Hawaii (is it denim?) I love them both.

Marcie said...

My vote, despite the majority, is the ruffle one. Only because it reminds me of the navy shirt you bought in LA which you looked incredible in!

Tiffany said...

I'm thinking the polk-a-dot looks more you ???? Either one will look great on you though! I want a good reason like Hawaii to go shopping . . .

Annie Sunshine said...

I like the polka-dot. It just looks more hawaii. Have fun...I'm jealous!

Angie said...

LOVE the polka-dot...but I'm with you, both are just cute. I wish we had fun stores like that in Idaho. We have to go to Utah for everything!

Anonymous said...

I would probably choose the second dress just because you could wear it more often. The first one is fabulous but after you've worn it once everyone will remember it. The second dress might show YOU off better. People will probably remember that you looked hot, not necessarily the dress you were wearing.

Also, you just described my wedding day. I guess the good thing is that we didn't date ourselves with any crazy make-up or hairstyles. My motive was to not wake up the next morning looking like a totally different person than my sweetheart had married. Mission accomplished. Added bonus . . . no make-up or hair product to work thru after the reception if you get my drift.

Last but not least, it is a little strange to comment on a post that 18 other women have already commented on. It's like I had discovered a fabulous little restraunt that noone else knew about and now it's all mainstreamed and stuff.

Fun that you have so many friends/followers.

Sorefam said...

kara,
i like them both, but i would actually go with the blue one b/c it's more versatile and i'm always looking for dresses that make me look like i have a chest...even though i don't! you can throw different accessories with the navy one and make it look like a different dress! have fun in Hawaii--will you see steph or nicole?

Nichols Family said...

YELLO SASH POLKA DOTS!!! Very nice for a HULA dance or two. I say wear that one but buy both! In fact, buy me one while you're at it and I'll pay you back. J/K. I love shopping...when other people just go pick it up for me and I don't have to go to the mall at all.

Unknown said...

I will be the only one who is odd man out and say that while both dresses are absolutely cute (love them both) - they don't really look like Hawaii dresses. All that to be said, I think the yellow sash one is more appropriate to vacation wear. But knowing what I've read from your blog I think that you're trying to kill two birds with one stone and get a dress that you can wear later - not just in Hawaii.

JDM said...

Which dress won?!

JDM said...

Oh and I am for the 2nd, even though the first one is SOOO fun. And that sash is pretty great. Well at least you know that you can't really make a bad choice here!