Ahhh, the 4th of July in East Millcreek, Utah! Nothing could be better...seriously. I truly think the 4th is my favorite Holiday. Of course I love Christmas, but it gets too stressful. The 4th is kick back with family and friends, eat good food, and be grateful for God and country. Here are some various pictures throughout the day with captions.
The morning always starts with the annual Millcreek Parade. The kids decorate their bikes, scooters, pogo sticks, wagons, and skateboards, to head down the parade route. So many community helpers turn out for this small part of SLC, UT. I've always said I grew up in Salt Lake City because that is more familiar to people. The truth is I grew up in East Millcreek, Ut...the greatest place on earth. It is right between Sugarhouse (north) and Cottonwood (south).
I was so impressed with my niece Sarah who did her pogo stick the entire length of the parade route.
One of the best parts of the whole parade/breakfast/carnival is seeing old friends and family. I was blessed to grow up next door to President Gordon B. Hinckley's daughter Kathy and her family. One of his other daughters - Jane - lived down the street. These people are just as amazing as you would imagine. East Milcreek is where Pres. Hinckley raised his family and they obviously loved it. The above picture is of many of his children, grandchildren, and great grand children. They put together this banner and float in his honor. I told you East Millcreek is the greatest place in Utah!!
Here is a cute picture of my old neighbor Kathy Hinckley Barnes Walker. It was fun to give her a hug. I hadn't seen her in years.
We were also able to run into our friends the Dalton's. Elaine is the Young Womens General President. I went to High School with their kids and even dated their son Zack for a while. They are amazing people. I actually have to credit them (along with my dad) for getting me into running. I remember one spring that their whole family was going to Moab to run the 1/2 marathon there. I thought that was the coolest thing. I decided then and there that I would run a 1/2 marathon someday!
Of course there were many other friends and family that were fabulous to see, but these were a few of the faces I thought people might recignize. I think I'm looking like a name dropper. I just want my kids to know how great it was to grow up there, and how it produced so many fine people...not just their relatives!!
Here are some fabulous relatives though. This is my sister in law Tee and her Henry. Such good people!
My cute Mom and nephew Zack with his new haircut. Very handsome I must say.
Poor Ella had a bad tumble on the scooter while we were making our way to the parade, so she walked the rest of the way with me. I felt so bad for her because both knee's, elbows, and her back had some pretty mean road rashes. She's a trooper. Here she is having a great time anyway!
Because we were so preoccupied with helping her we didn't realize that Max had taken off on his scooter without us. I figured he was with one of my siblings and their kids. When we got to the bottom of the parade route we realized no one had him. I started to panic when he walked up to me and said, "Mom, I won the race!" He had no idea he was lost and just took off. I cannot believe I ran into him like that. There were swarms of people going in all directions. I'm giving credit to divine intervention for that one!
My sister Shauna and her awesome hubby Brian saved me by taking care of Nora the whole morning. They said it was good practice for getting their little Mary Grace from China (look for a post about that soon). I think they are just plain great! Paul was on a brother's overnighter in Park City, so I needed all the help I could get.
Once we got to the end of the parade we headed to the traditional pancake breakfast. It always hits the spot with bacon, sausage, fruit, and eggs.

There are also a ton of little carnival booths set up for the kids to play. They LOVE THAT.
Because of the carnival games I spent my morning doing this...handing out tickets.
The snowcones are always a favorite. I think we each had three!



Nora kept herself entertained with Grammie's hat!
Later that evening after all the naps, we headed down to Highland Utah were my sister Shauna lives. This is a picture Paul took from her back yard to the back of her house. Isn't this setting gorgeous?! There was plenty of room for the kids to run and play, and the weather was great. I love Utah summers.
The trampoline is always a hit. I need to just get one of these. I know it'll be a matter of days though when one of my kids breaks a bone.
We put the kids to work on the corn. I always remember this being the kids job when I was young. I love seeing my kids do it now.
After dinner we gathered around their awesome fire pit (I told you it was a great backyard) for some SMORES!!
Jack was eager to roast the perfect marshmallow and was very patient waiting for it. That is SO JACK!!
Max and Ella were more worried about how fast they could get them in their mouths. How they are all related is beyond me.
Once it was dark we decided it was time to set off some fireworks. My kids LOVE THIS.
I promise Nora does too, she just prefers them through a filter. It is so funny because this is also how she watches Scooby Doo. She begs for it though! Go figure.
Here are Paul and I with our assigned cameras.
I was trying to see if I could figure out how to keep the shutter open long enough to get my niece Sarah's whole name with the sparkler, but I could never get more than this. (it's backwards) Any of you photographers out there...I'd love some tips.
I might have been able to get it on this one if I had a tripod!
I know I've said it before, but my kids have the best Aunts and Uncles. They really try to get to know them, love them, and take care of them.
It really just warms my heart to know that there are so many good people right here in my own family!
I love this great country of ours and am so proud to call it home. Every July 4th that conviction is strengthened.
The morning always starts with the annual Millcreek Parade. The kids decorate their bikes, scooters, pogo sticks, wagons, and skateboards, to head down the parade route. So many community helpers turn out for this small part of SLC, UT. I've always said I grew up in Salt Lake City because that is more familiar to people. The truth is I grew up in East Millcreek, Ut...the greatest place on earth. It is right between Sugarhouse (north) and Cottonwood (south).
I was so impressed with my niece Sarah who did her pogo stick the entire length of the parade route.
One of the best parts of the whole parade/breakfast/carnival is seeing old friends and family. I was blessed to grow up next door to President Gordon B. Hinckley's daughter Kathy and her family. One of his other daughters - Jane - lived down the street. These people are just as amazing as you would imagine. East Milcreek is where Pres. Hinckley raised his family and they obviously loved it. The above picture is of many of his children, grandchildren, and great grand children. They put together this banner and float in his honor. I told you East Millcreek is the greatest place in Utah!!
Here is a cute picture of my old neighbor Kathy Hinckley Barnes Walker. It was fun to give her a hug. I hadn't seen her in years.
We were also able to run into our friends the Dalton's. Elaine is the Young Womens General President. I went to High School with their kids and even dated their son Zack for a while. They are amazing people. I actually have to credit them (along with my dad) for getting me into running. I remember one spring that their whole family was going to Moab to run the 1/2 marathon there. I thought that was the coolest thing. I decided then and there that I would run a 1/2 marathon someday!Of course there were many other friends and family that were fabulous to see, but these were a few of the faces I thought people might recignize. I think I'm looking like a name dropper. I just want my kids to know how great it was to grow up there, and how it produced so many fine people...not just their relatives!!
Here are some fabulous relatives though. This is my sister in law Tee and her Henry. Such good people!
My cute Mom and nephew Zack with his new haircut. Very handsome I must say.
Poor Ella had a bad tumble on the scooter while we were making our way to the parade, so she walked the rest of the way with me. I felt so bad for her because both knee's, elbows, and her back had some pretty mean road rashes. She's a trooper. Here she is having a great time anyway!
Because we were so preoccupied with helping her we didn't realize that Max had taken off on his scooter without us. I figured he was with one of my siblings and their kids. When we got to the bottom of the parade route we realized no one had him. I started to panic when he walked up to me and said, "Mom, I won the race!" He had no idea he was lost and just took off. I cannot believe I ran into him like that. There were swarms of people going in all directions. I'm giving credit to divine intervention for that one!
My sister Shauna and her awesome hubby Brian saved me by taking care of Nora the whole morning. They said it was good practice for getting their little Mary Grace from China (look for a post about that soon). I think they are just plain great! Paul was on a brother's overnighter in Park City, so I needed all the help I could get.
Once we got to the end of the parade we headed to the traditional pancake breakfast. It always hits the spot with bacon, sausage, fruit, and eggs.
There are also a ton of little carnival booths set up for the kids to play. They LOVE THAT.
Because of the carnival games I spent my morning doing this...handing out tickets.
The snowcones are always a favorite. I think we each had three!


Nora kept herself entertained with Grammie's hat!
Later that evening after all the naps, we headed down to Highland Utah were my sister Shauna lives. This is a picture Paul took from her back yard to the back of her house. Isn't this setting gorgeous?! There was plenty of room for the kids to run and play, and the weather was great. I love Utah summers.
The trampoline is always a hit. I need to just get one of these. I know it'll be a matter of days though when one of my kids breaks a bone.
We put the kids to work on the corn. I always remember this being the kids job when I was young. I love seeing my kids do it now.
After dinner we gathered around their awesome fire pit (I told you it was a great backyard) for some SMORES!!
Jack was eager to roast the perfect marshmallow and was very patient waiting for it. That is SO JACK!!
Max and Ella were more worried about how fast they could get them in their mouths. How they are all related is beyond me.
Once it was dark we decided it was time to set off some fireworks. My kids LOVE THIS.
I promise Nora does too, she just prefers them through a filter. It is so funny because this is also how she watches Scooby Doo. She begs for it though! Go figure.
Here are Paul and I with our assigned cameras.
I was trying to see if I could figure out how to keep the shutter open long enough to get my niece Sarah's whole name with the sparkler, but I could never get more than this. (it's backwards) Any of you photographers out there...I'd love some tips.
I might have been able to get it on this one if I had a tripod!
I know I've said it before, but my kids have the best Aunts and Uncles. They really try to get to know them, love them, and take care of them.
It really just warms my heart to know that there are so many good people right here in my own family!
I love this great country of ours and am so proud to call it home. Every July 4th that conviction is strengthened.









15 comments:
This post is the epitome of a fantastic fourth. Too cute....thanks for sharing. I am so mad at myself. I became so busy yesterday that I forgot to get back on and bid for the necklace for the Nie recovery. Are you planning to do one every Thursday?! Thanks.....
Kristi in Idaho
Thanks for posting this Kara. It's so fun to see your cute family again. I can't believe how big Zack is...wow! Your Mom is so cute, I miss her. I can't believe that we never went to the East Milcreek 4th parade growing up in UT. It looks so fun! I'm excited to hear more about Shauna's adoption, my Mom told me a bit about it before we left UT. Your kids are adorable, Ella looks just like you. Next time we're in AZ or UT, we need to get together!
Ok, now we REALLY need to go bead shopping because I grew up in Holiday! I am SURE we know people in commong. We will have to do that excursion soon!
I LoVe Utah summers! My favorite pictures are the ones of your kids snuggling with their aunts and uncles. We're in that stage right now and we love our little nephews so much. I can't believe all of this happened in One day! Looks like so much fun!
What a great fourth of July celebration, and such darling pictures of your kids.
It was fun to see President Hinckley's family honor him in such a fun way.
Your sister's backyard is amazing. Just the kind of lot we are looking for.
So many comments to make - I'll try to keep it short! I too love being in Utah for the 4th. The parade was a blast and it was so fun to see you there and at church. The picture of Kath - what can I say but that I scored big time when it comes to mother in laws! She is the best. I so miss the mountains and the picture from Shauna's back yard is amazing. Being away from family does make you appreciate them that much more! Your family is awesome and I'm so glad to have known all of you guys for so long!
PS - how is the car situation?
I made a long post and somehow it never posted! Anyway, I was just agreeing with everything you said. I live for and LOVE the fourth. It is my favorite day of the year. I love the music, the food, the weather, the patriotism. I love that no presents are involved! If you are ever in my neck of the woods. I know where I'm taking you for the 4th!
What a fantastic place to grow up. I am feeling a bit jealous. Big cities just don't have that same feel. Your kids are darling and I enjoyed my East Milcreek 4th of July by proxy.
Love, love, love the 4th and love the pictures of your family. Thank you for sharing.
These pictures make me homesick for Utah! It really is a great place. Especially for 4ths! Glad you had such a great visit. Love the pics of Nora in the hat. She is SO cute. I can't wait for Nora and Anna to play one day!
PS - You are SO talented! I love all of the stuff you made for the Nie auction. And I love your big heart!
Kara, I echo everything Ashley said. You are so talented. Not only with the beautiful things you made for the auction. But for the wonderful interesting blogs, the wonderful mom you are and your quick intelligence. I loved the picture of our flag at the end but I especially loved seeing all the pictures of the kids on the 4th. They are the best and your family is wonderful. It makes me homesick for all of you. And like Ashley, I love your big heart and your tender spirit.
what a perfect day! You did live in an amazing neighborhood. I don't think you were name dropping! I'd love to hear more about your incredible neighbors!
So after reading BC yesterday, I'm wondering how much you donated to have all those "celebrities" in your 4th of July photos! =)
I really miss being together over the holidays. I wish we weren't so far away!
Post a Comment