

Yup! We did it! We had the big talk with Ella on Saturday....and it was AWESOME!! Seriously, it went way better than I thought.
First of all I know there are those of you wide eyed and gasping. I can hear the questions now:
Isn't that too young? She is only 8.
Isn't that too much information?
Won't it just bring up things she's not ready for?
My answer to all those questions is NOPE!!
Of course, I know that each family and parent needs to do what is best for their children, but I decided this was best for us. Here are my reasons:
1- I want to be the first one she hears ANYTHING from that has ANYTHING to do with this subject. In some cases your already too late at 3rd grade, but I read that the overwhelming majority of kids have heard something about sex by 4th grade.
2- At this beautiful age they are old enough to understand the concept, but not so old that they are too embarrassed to talk about it. It's usually not on their radar, so you can put the first impressions in them yourself.
3- I want my kids to know that it's OK to talk to me about it, and anything else they may hear. I figure if I'm the primary source of information then they will come to me to clarify rumors and/or questions. Hey, I'm the one that told them about it in the first place, so it must be OK.
I could list a whole slew of reasons, but I'll send you to the source of my information. It's a wonderful little book written by the famous parents of my amazing cousin Shawni!
It is called "How to Talk to your Child about Sex" by Richard and Linda Eyre. Pretty straight forward. You can also access tips and scenarios from their incredible website Values Parenting. It was so easy and natural. I will forever be grateful for their advice.
Now for how it all went down. We had been telling her that because she was 8 years old she was old enough to learn some really great and exciting things. She kept asking us when we were going to talk about it and she was really curious and excited. A few days before our talk Paul was in on the computer and didn't notice that Ella had somehow found, and was flipping through a book we had gotten to show her a little bit about it.

The book is called, "Where Did I Come From" by Peter Mayle. I walked in to ask Paul a question just as Ella was turning to the page that shows two full page naked cartoon adults! I immediately started laughing and asked Paul if he was aware of what his daughter was doing. He saw and all three of us started laughing. I told her that this was some of the stuff we were going to talk about when we had our birds and bees talk. Then I asked her what she thought it was going to be about, and she said, "gross stuff." We all just laughed and said that it seems gross, but it's actually really exciting. It turned out to be a really good thing because it broke any potential ice and she knew it involved our bodies.

The book is called, "Where Did I Come From" by Peter Mayle. I walked in to ask Paul a question just as Ella was turning to the page that shows two full page naked cartoon adults! I immediately started laughing and asked Paul if he was aware of what his daughter was doing. He saw and all three of us started laughing. I told her that this was some of the stuff we were going to talk about when we had our birds and bees talk. Then I asked her what she thought it was going to be about, and she said, "gross stuff." We all just laughed and said that it seems gross, but it's actually really exciting. It turned out to be a really good thing because it broke any potential ice and she knew it involved our bodies.
So, when the big day came, we got a babysitter for the other three kids and took Ella to lunch by herself. She decided to go to Paradise Bakery and we sat outside because there was no one else there. After the first few bites I started off with some very mild statements about how much we love her and our family, how important families are, and why Heavenly Father created the family unit. This of course led to how love can make a family grow. Then out came the book she had been perusing earlier in the week.
We really just flipped through it together and added thoughts and feelings along the way. There were a few pages that we taped together because we thought they were unneccesary at this time. (Thanks for the tip Jules) There were only a couple of times she tried to cover up a picture if someone was walking a little close to us, but she paid attention and didn't seem embarrased at all.
I was so grateful because my sweet Ella has so many other things that are more important to her that all the dumb things her parents say. I was afraid that she wouldn't even keep her attention on the subject or care. I was delighfully surprised at how mature and matter-of-fact she was about it. It really convinced me that it was the right age for her. Even though I'm sure a lot of it went over her head, it was a great start. We plan on having some follow up discussions throughout the years and hopefully that in turn will keep the lines of communication open.
So, all in all I would have to say it was a great experience...and...I'm really glad it's over!!










24 comments:
Awesome post! Thanks so much for the tips and for your experience. I totally agree with your thinking about being the first one to introduce the topic. I've heard it referred to as inoculation. I wonder how many of her friends have had similar discussions with their parents. Do you think she will talk about it with her friends?
Yep, I see it coming. My abby is 7 and the other day she asked me how you can tell if a boy dog is a boy dog. I gave her a VERY SIMPLE explaination, but I see the "BIG ONE" coming. ;)
I have been thinking about this for a while and haven't really known how to go about it. I know Cam is ready for it though. Thanks for the tips!
I'm so glad to have read this BEFORE I have to tackle the subject. You're right to talk to her at the age she is, it's NOT too young. We'd be surprised how early they really hear these types of things. Good for you, and I can imagine how glad you are that it's over.
Kara, you just made my YEAR. Anna is only six, but she is curious and has asked me some very good questions. While I know she is a bit young, I also know she is ready to learn and that she needs to learn it from me. Adam and I decided last month that we were going to have this talk before the end of the year. I have been nervous because I didn't know where to start, how to begin, etc. Now I feel excited and ready. I will buy these books tomorrow. Thank you!!!
Kara, I think that's awesome. My parents had the talk with me when I was younger and we always had a very open relationship when it came to any questions I had. I thought it was awesome and I think what you guys did is awesome as well.....especially since sex is everywhere in our culture. Open communication is key and I'm so glad things went so well.
Oh, I'm glad it's over for you too! I'm sure that is a huge relief. Can you come have this talk with Romey? I'm thinking I'll wait until the pregnancy thing has passed. I'm thinking no one wants to hear about the birds and the bees and see actual proof at the same time. Eight does seem young, but I have to agree, if you want to be the first one to tell them you better get to them at this age. It's only a matter of time before the neighborhood kid tries to explain the whole thing and gets it all mixed-up. Truthfully, I haven't even thought about telling Romey about this. Thanks for bringing up the subject. I guess I need to decide when it's the appropriate time for her. Great.
Hi. I am a friend of Chris L. I just popped in and read this and have to say...great job! I have an 11 year old who is still clueless ( i hope!). This helped. I need to get on this, but have been dreading it. Thanks for the resources!
Thank you for posting about this and how you handled it - also the book suggestions are much appreciated. We are years away from this, but I have worried and wondered about it since we decided our duet should become a trio. Glad it went so well.
You are truly a brave soul. Will is 8, so maybe he is ready. Too bad I'm not! I've seen that couple on TV talking about their book. I guess I should pick it up and read it with Mark. Maybe then I would have the courage. I remember when I learned about sex. I looked at all adults so different, so disgusted. I don't want my kids to be grossed out by it.
Now she will know why the bedroom door is locked! hehe
You are awesome Kara! You did it all perfectly. I need to do this with my girls, ages 10 and 8. I've thought about it for a while now but have put it off. So glad to read your post and get some good ideas. I will go purchase those books. Wish me luck! :)
I love it when I read good parenting tips on blogs. Now I know which books to buy and how to go about this daunting task one day. But it also made me scared. I have to have this talk one day with Anna! Ahhh! I'm glad I have a few years!
I heard about it in 2nd grade at a sleepover and then my mom asked me if I knew what the birds and bees were and I told her yes and that was it! Good job on being pro-active, I really look forward to teaching my kids all sorts of important things BEFORE their friends! What a cute girl to be so mature about it.
Wow. My daughter turns 8 this month. I guess this is something I need to think about. Thanks for the tips on the books, too.
Yeah, I am so excited to finally know someone that did it with the Eyre's book. I have it here waiting for the "moment!" I love valuesparenting.com. It is so great!
I agree with you I want to be the FIRST to tell my kids and I want it done in a way that doesn't seem "gross" or "perverted".
8 seemed so young to me until a year ago when I was hit with reality!
Great Job Kara.....WHew and a load of your shoulders huh?
this is one area i totally fear for in the future. thanks for the book recommendations- will have to order them.
You are such a great mom and I can totally see you all calm and at ease with Ella at lunch. I am sure it was a great bonding moment for the three of you. keep sharing your fine parenting tips.
Congrats, Kara! I'm so glad you did it! I love doing it early because I want my kids to come to me if they have any questions later. So far no questions, but every once in a while I bring it up with them and it's not awkward because of our "big talk." I want to be so close to these kids and for them to really know how much I love them, and I figure this is a great place to start. Anyway, I love that it went so well!
We just had this talk with my 6 year old. She was so ready to hear it. She has shocked us with some of her questions. Very thought out for her age. I know for sure my son Jack will not be ready at her age. I do think it is interesting how differnt generations view this topic. When I told my mother I had told Jenna about hte birds and the bees she looked like she was going to cry. She asked if I was so sad I had to tell her. Like you I am so glad it came from me.
We totally did it the Eyre way--I have a sis in law who swore by it--with Emma and it could NOT have been a better experience. I've been putting it off a little with my Gabe, but this was a good reminder.
(And you and I would SO be best friends if we lived by each other!)
I was just given a book called "You were smaller than a Dot". I think it was written and illustrated by the same guy who wrote the Ziggy cartoons. Needless to say, things were actually WAY different than was explained in the book. Anyway, we finally decided it was time for our oldest to have the talk. So we went for a drive to Home Depot and we talked the whole way there and the whole way back. Went pretty smooth. Although now, whenever I ask if my oldest wants to go with me to Home Depot, he's always busy.
Have the same books and did the whole Eyre-technique with my almost-10 year old. My daughter is coming up this February and I imagine it will be a whole different conversation...but I'm grateful to have script to follow!
I'm not to that point yet, thank goodness...but you do it exactly how my friends do and it sounds perfect to me!!!!! They teach their kids when they are 8 as well, use that book, and feel the same way as you! Thanks for the advice and example.
My dad is a doctor and I grew up knowing all the anatomical parts and "how babies were made." I never remember not knowing. That doesn't mean I didn't squirm at the 6th grade maturation program, but I don't think it hurts to teach kids young. It's part of life, yo.
thank you so much for the tips!!
Post a Comment