Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Do They Really Think We Are That Dumb?



At least try to be a little bit sly about your outright media bias!! If you ever wondered if there was a mainstream media bias (I said mainstream) then this might give you your answer.

Seriously, this makes me so mad especially after recently being a part of an absolutely refreshing and exciting discussion (if you call it that) about diverse political opinions.

My blog friend Paige (yes, I've met her in real life!) is a staunch democrat (I'm not) and I LOVE HER!!! She did a post recently which spawned many and varied comments. The thing I LOVED most about it is that everyone was really very civil. These were mostly (I assume) women and mothers. I love how we were all different, but there were no personal attacks on each other and everyone was welcomed.

Why is this so hard? There isn't much I like more than honest discussions where people may not agree, but there is respect and graciousness. Some of my best friends are liberal Democrats (honestly...I have lived all over, including Wisconsin, D.C., Pennsylvania, etc.)...and I love them...because they love me more than politics.
I actually started writing this post to say how much I enjoyed Senator Fred Thompson's speech last night at the convention. I just wanted to keep saying, "RIGHT ON."!! Whether you like McCain or not, you have to admit his life has been one of amazing courage and valor.

Oh, and I also wanted to say that YES... I still love Palin...even with the news of her daughter. Maybe even more so. I'm no fair weather fan, and I don't scare easily. I think most people understand that no family is perfect, and that it's how you handle the tough things that show true values and morals.

I think these photos show a lot of class. I didn't include the first one because McCain is kissing a baby, but to set the stage. This is Palin's family on the runway as they are greeting McCain in Minnesota. Here is her pregnant daughter, who has been the focus of intense media scrutiny, standing strong with her boyfriend/fiance' beside her. She's not hiding, and neither is he. Good for them.

OK, I'm done.

Oops, I lied! One more thing...I absolutely welcome your comments. If you are going to post anonymously that is fine, but keep it nice. I'll just have to delete you if you don't. I realize some people don't like showing their political colors in public. Unfortunately keeping my opinions to myself has never been one of my strong points. So, let's have fun with this!!

24 comments:

Claudia said...

I really feel for Palin's daughter. The media can be so harsh. She is so young to be not only pregnant but also in such a spotlight. At least she has confided in her parents(and the entire world) so she can get the prenatal care she needs.

I watched a very depressing television show called Babyland a few weeks ago. It was about pregnant teenage girls living in Memphis who do not get the care they need. Most of these young girls have premature babies that either need so much medical care or die.

None of this will be changing my candidate of choice this year but my hopes and prayers for Palin's daughter is she will be left out of the media's attention.

Rachel said...

The night before the Republican Convention the media could have done a profile on Palin or talked about McCain's policy on this or that. But did they? No. 20/20 spent the time allotted for political subjects to Obama and his wife. How is it that the media is so biased? I wish I knew who made the decisions. Anyway, thanks for showing us the covers of Us weekly. We MUST raise our awareness.

Laura Dunaway said...

Hey Kara--
While I don't agree with you politically, I do agree that it is essential to have open but gracious discussions. I too only like to be involved in ones that do that, where I don't have to feel uncomfortable or feel stress. I agree that the media shouldn't be biased and should leave Palin's daughter alone. Her pregnancy should not be our concern, we should be concerned only about each candidates ability to lead. While I strongly support Obama/Biden, I appreciate everyones opinions. Freedom of speech is what it's all about. Thanks for posting this. Thanks for also wanting different opinions. To many more discussions!

Shy Little Violets said...

I'm with you on the biased thing. I was just mentioning to Jess last night that I didn't see near as much of McCain as I did the B word. Just kidding, I don't have anything against the man I just want there to be equal time for both candidates. I don't think the pregancy should be held against Palin, it just makes her more human than before. Just like my Mom, the most amazing woman I know, wouldn't that be sad if we were judged on all the choices our children make?

diane said...

I'm loving the convention and can't wait to hear from our new VP tonight. I love politics. Great post.

MotherBeck said...

I have been thinking about e-mailing a few of my friends that I know are voting for Obama and asking them what they like about him and the same for those who are voting for McKain. Maybe I can get some insight from your friends blog. Thanks for posting this. As usual you say what you mean and =say it so well.

Janelle said...

Hey - I'm a friend of Denae's. I loved the pictures on this post, thanks for sharing them. I also love Klimpt! Tree of life is so beautiful. I'll go in on it with you - maybe we kind fine a few million more people to go in with us. Unless you meant a print, then just show us where you put it in your house.

Enjoyed being here.

-Janelle

Sally said...

You brave and gutsy girl you! Love that you are bringing this up and love the diversity of your followers...

I have my own two cents but will have to stop back by later...I only had a sec. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Ellie McFreaken said...

Say WHAT? I just left a long comment and BAM..it is gone! I'll have to come back later when I have more time....

BRoss said...

Unfortunately this whole thing is making me a little bit sick of the whole political process here in the US. I don't like the hours of spin doctoring that is going on on BOTH sides of the ticket about so-and-so's daughter, or so-and-so's wife, or who hunted what or smoked what or where or when. Why can't it be about the issues?

Unknown said...

I am a pretty good democrat, but have really enjoyed this presidental race for some reason. I love the nomination of Palin and I love that her daughter is pregnant. It makes her more human, more real. Just like when Cheney's daughter came out that she was gay - they tried to hide it and made cheney more creepy. Palin is the type of woman that would run the women's ministry at my church and I would respect her and appreciate her.

I also really appreciate Obama's comment that we should stop focusing on the families of the candidates and focus on the issues. Smart move on his part.

Annemarie said...

I'll be really nice...I LOVE EVERYTHING YOU WROTE!!!

Lorena said...

I agree with you. The recent coverage and comments that I have heard have only turned me more to the GOP, rather than against it.

I love that a PTO Mom (like me) can make it all the way to the White House. And now I can REALLY tell my daughters that they can become whatever they want to.

Loved her speech tonight. Loved that she is spunky and sarcastic!

Anonymous said...

Kara, you're awesome. Politics is a tough subject because it's so personal and gets so heated. Adam's granny was a staunch democrat and would have nothing to do owith republicans. Even though all her children grew up to be republicans. Adam and I had our wedding reception at the nixon library gardens and it about killed her. :)

Anyway, I very much agree on your comment about equal coverage. It drives me CRAZY. I won't say more than that for fear of getting hate mail on my blog. :)

Marcie said...

Wasn't Palin's speech fantastic. I wanted to stand up and cheer. I think she did an amazing job of pointing out the truth from the smokescreen without mixing any words about it. She focused on qualifications of the candidates....which is what I think we all should be focusing on.

My heart broke for Palin and her daughter when the news frenzy began. All mothers know that our children are free to make their own choices....and will definitely make some we wish they hadn't. I, too, love that despite the insane media coverage of her pregnancy , the family is not hiding her away. Instead she is a proud member of the family as well. I can't even imagine how hard it has got to be to be so young and have your life debated back and forth by the media. Also, how insane has it got to be for her fiancee. Suddenly finding himself on the stage of the National convention. Crazy.

Jen said...

I so agree with you about the media bias. The only thing I have agreed with Obama on is when he said the family is off limits and lets focus on the issues. I don't see what Palin's daughters decisions have to do with her being VP. We all know we can tell our kids something a million times and they will still have to make their own decisions. They just have nothing to pull out on her, so they are going after her family.

I so loved her speech last night. I feel like for once we have someone who is human up there and not just a candidate. I think it's awesome that we will be a part of a major historical event in November!

Cheri said...

Well Kara... I am pretty sure you know where I stand on this whole issue!!

I read a comment in response to Sarah Palin's speech last night on another blog that I LOVED "NOW I have a reason to vote FOR McCain intead of casting a ballot AGAINST Obama"!

My feelings on Palin's daughter is that it proves how strong their ProLIFE stance is! It proves that Palin is someone who actually believes and LIVES what she says!! You won't see her changing her views to suit the crowd. (or the media)

BRING IT ON!

Annie Sunshine said...

I am so looking forward to all your comments and insights in this presidential election year. The last presidential election was shortly after we moved to La Crosse and I loved the insights you had then. Keep it up.

I also had a chance to catch Palin's address last night, & I loved her. To be honest I didn't know her from Adam before she was nominated as VP, but I really loved her speech. She doesn't mince words.

Last comment. Why is everyone bent out of shape about her daughter's pregnancy? Yes, a stupid choice led to it, but she didn't have an abortion (which I'm sure the far left thinks she should have), and there are quite possibly MANY daughters of those in high political office who have been in the same exact place and did have an abortion just to avoid the unpleasant scrutiny. Furthermore, she didn't try to cover it up. I think they are making the best out of a sad situation. She should be applauded not criticized!

heather said...

We were skeptical at first not knowing anything about Palin, but man what a speech last night. I love that she is feisty and confident and that she has values. My hubbie and I think she would make a great President. Good for her for speaking her mind to the media.

Heather said...

Kara:

I often surprise myself I'm the Political Science major in our family. (I guess one of two). You're brave to blog your political opinions which I very much appreciate personally. I probably feel as strong about issues but get so heated at the "game" of it that it drives me to disinterest overall. I know that is a bad attitude. I also don't articulate my thoughts very well. Way to go. I love your insights. Most of all I love being your sis!

Hopper

Jill said...

I liked this post. Thanks!!

The Stiffs said...

Thanks for putting your opinions out there. Believe it or not, I feel like I am the conservative minority of my own church. I'm a little afraid of backlash on my own blog. Good for you. There is a media bias that leads to people in our society being uneducated. We tend to believe whatever we read or hear. I agree with everything you said.

Emily said...

I don't know you but I think we're from the same area (So. Utah)so I'm leaving a comment. Ha! At first,with the Palin choice I thought that it was just a move to get some attention. (It may have partly been so) However, when I heard her speech, I was sold. I love her frankness and spirit. She doesn't scare me like other ladies who want to be sitting in the Whitehouse (no hint needed there right?) I think that McCain and Palin will be a great team!

Paige said...

Hey, thanks for the shout-out even if I am a democrat! Yeah, the comments were civil until the end- where some chick said it wasn't Palin that needed a makeover, it was me! It cracked me up, so I left it on my comments. I never said Palin needed a makeover, hello she's hot! Just didn't like the beehive.
I agree about the liberal bias of the media- except Fox News-ugh.