Friday, September 26, 2008

Anatomy of a nights sleep

8:00pm SHARP! Kids in bed. Yahoo!

9:00pm Child #4 starts crying in crib - check and retrieve cozy that was thrown out.

10:00pm wake up child #2 and take to the bathroom to avoid extra loads of laundry.

10:30pm go to bed - get in deep conversation with husband until 12:00am

12:15am realize the the tooth fairy almost forgot to visit child #2. Check.

12:15am-2:00am mind races - can't sleep - surf web.

2:00am child #3 awake with wet bed - forgot pull-up?!

2:05am sleep.

3:00am child #1 comes into bed because of nightmare.

4:00am hubby (on call) gets called by hospital...has 10 min conversation while still in bed.

5:20am child #3 wakes up for the day and wants chocolate milk. Oblige.

5:30am try to go back to sleep but decide to run instead.

6:30am get back from run feeling 100% better.

6:30am to 11:00pm dream of the nap you never get.

36 comments:

Kimberly said...

I can relate, but only 2 kids getting up in the night and needing chocolate milk at the crack of dawn. I'll wish for that nap for you!

Anonymous said...

Whoa. Were you sleeping in my bed!? You just described my night. Albeit, mine was a little better. But not much! I'm just impressed that you went running at 5:30. You really are superwoman.

Lindsey said...

That was not the anatomy of a nights SLEEP... just the anatomy of a NIGHT. Sorry, best wishes for more sleep tonight!

Sarah said...

You went running? Are you kidding me? You've got to be exhausted. Get to bed early tonight!

Jen said...

Your my hero to go running after a lack of sleep! My girls still get me up too, but it's usually for me to come sleep with them. Truly the crazy good life!

Erika said...

You poor girl. Isn't that just the way it works sometimes?! You are my hero for going running. And I so know the "dreaming of a nap" feeling ;-) Hope bedtime comes quickly!

Ashley said...

I wish that I had the ambition to go running after a sleepless night! You are amazing. My mind totally races at night too. I hate it. Hope tonight you can get a little more sleep!

queenieweenie said...

I SO don't miss those days. Sleep is yummy.

Wayne and Carolyn said...

I really don't miss those days........sleep is beautiful! Love the grandkids but, thankgoodness, they go home at night. As I tell my own kids, "Have them while you are young."

PS - Scotty is home and on the mend. Had a wicked case of Microplasma (?) pneumonia that usually only affects teenagers. He is 8 years old.

Annemarie said...

I am soooooo impressed that you still went running!! What a long day..I can sympathize with the wanting to have a nap!!

Lisa Cannon said...

Please tell me that a night like that isn't an everyday occurrence! I would DIE! Aren't you just running on empty? I sleep with my pillow wrapped around my head. Is that bad?

Kristi said...

Oh, I am feeling for you, girl. I know all too well how those nights go. I also know how badly a nap is craved. You deserve one! Make it happen!

Shawni said...

can I come pick up the kids so you can take a nap??

Flake Family said...

SURE....deep conversation:)

Photo Crazy! said...

No wonder you are still so skinny...you need some sleep. My kids get up too some nights. Jenna is in our bed at least 2 nights a week. My kids have all gone through night starts or sleep walking. Good luck! How do you keep the wrinkles off your face and bags from under your eyes? You look fab! Love, Jennie

Julie said...

That is totally crappy! I am sorry. I wish that that never happens again for you.....but it will. Don't you just love being the Mom! Yes!!!

Bridget said...

Oh, those nights are so NOT fun. So sorry. Especially when that nap never happens.

Anonymous said...

running? tell the truth. you jogged around the corner, knocked on my door, took a nap on my couch while I got Peri ready for "A" hour. NOT REALLY. you are a nut. You had better stop blogging from midnight until 3:00, put pull-ups on EVERYONE, even you and then YOU won't even have to get up until your alarm goes off, and put sippy cups of choco milk on EVERYONE'S nightstand. When Paul is on-call, have him sleep on the couch that night (or at the hospital)....no deep conversations and not disturbed when he jumps in his scrubs to head to the hospital in the middle of the night. Our couch for a 5 a.m. 30 minute nap is also an option. And, I will serve you a hot breakfast of brown sugar malto meal when you wake up...ask Peri...it's the best. STOP THE MADNESS!!!

Sarah and Kevin said...

Just reading that made me tired for you!

Nichols Family said...

You're a good mom. I'm so grumpy when those nights happen at our house. I'm exhausted just reading your blog...no nap though.

JDM said...

You are AMAZING!
AMAZING.
At least you went running. I usually bring a pillow out to the couch and pretend to supervise what's going on while I dose in and out of sleep for an another hour after nights like that.

michelle said...

Ohh, how I can relate. I am glad that for the most part our nights have gotten better. I am totally impressed that you ended up going running! I hope you get some much deserved rest!

Brian said...

Too funny. A column in a recent favorite blog of mine outlines a typical night in the Wilde household... think you'd get a kick out of this (and his other posts)...

http://thebwildecolumn.blogspot.com/2008/09/boomerang-childrensleepless-nights.html

Do you know Bryan? (VP Human Resources Franklin Covey).

heather said...

SO SO funny!!! We can all relate, only my kids have yet to sleep a full night in their beds, they hit the floor, random!

Jill said...

Thank heaven for tomorrow's!!

Paige said...

Really? A deep convo with your hubby for two hours? If you meant that other thing, what did you do for the other 1 hour and 45 mins?

Ted and Leslie said...

Kara, saw a comment you left on someone else's blog and was excited to see you! It has been way too long! Hope all is going well for you guys. Every once in a while we will miss those great Kentucky days! Your family is adorable - and I can relate too well to the sleepless nights. Just can't relate to the running AFTER a sleepless night! Take care!
-- Leslie

Marcie said...

Sometimes I swear I would pay $200 for just an hour long nap in the afternoon.

Also impressed that going for an hour long run after that night.

Laura said...

All I can say is I will never complain that I CAN'T get up at to run in the morning again!!! That is a busy night, Kara. YOU are my idol that you have the motivation to run in the early morning after a sleepless night. Please give me some of that!

Jessica said...

Same here...EXCEPT I do take that nap. Every single day.

Try it, you'll like it.

Sorefam said...

kara,
thanks for the comment on my blog. i did fix the link, so it should work now. the website is picnik.com. i had the c and k transposed. hope you enjoy it!! miss you

Sally said...

Love this post and can totally relate to it lately.

I am so far behind on life but just wanted to drop you a little note and let you know how much we missed you!

Looking forward to next year!

Sally said...

...except for the running part of course. Really, 5:30 running? Your killing me!

Cheri said...

"deep in conversation" huh??? It that what YOU call it?? :)

Cheryl said...

For just a second I thought you were blogging about my life. It seems that our children seem to follow the same pattern.

I agree with Sally's 2 comments- I can relate and am impressed you went out for a run after it all. It is amazing how exercise can be the best pick you up. Hope you get some better rest soon- or at least a nap!

mary kelly said...

Kara,
I love you! You are the best at writing and communicating! You are a super mom and I stand in awe of you. And I love to read your blogs!