Monday, June 18, 2007

Girls Camp

Well, I survived Girls Camp. I learned a lot about what I want for myself, and especially for my children. I also learned that we have an incredible group of Young Women in our Ward. The girls are so bright, interested, and good. Here are a few pics of the events.


Me with two of our fabulous Beehives (girls age 12-13) Note: I am well aware that girls camp is about the only place I could get away with pig-tails.
Our fun group enjoying some of the skits.
Me making a fool of myself in a skit.
Here is a quick bullet point list of some of the things that struck me during my four day Girls Camp adventure:
  • Daddy long legs can elicit some of the loudest screams I have ever heard. (especially from young girls)
  • We don't expect enough from our kids... I was amazed at how much many young girls think they CAN'T do, or aren't willing to do.
  • There is NOT a lot that I'm afraid of .....except for how I'm doing as a Mother.
  • Everyday is a new day to choose to be better, and do better for others.
  • Too many Mothers coddle their kids. Sometimes we have to tell them "no", and to "step up."
  • Christlike girls today will become the Christlike mothers that we need so much tomorrow.
  • I love how eager girls are to comfort each other, cry with them, and try to make them laugh.
  • An unbelievable amount of time, cost, and especially service goes into pulling off this kind of activity. We are so blessed to have these opportunities in the church.
  • I am a child of God. He loves me as an individual and cares about my life. He is eager to see me succeed and is always ready to answer my call (prayer).
  • I have a lot of work to do!

*What are your thoughts?*

4 comments:

Sally said...

Kara- this was so fun to see as I also just returned from girls camp. I am sure we could share funny stories. I absolutely agree with you in so many ways. It was fun to see the girls outside of their comfort zone and made me hope and pray that Olivia will become a stong, independant, happy girl. I was also amazed at the time and service people give.

I am so glad you had a great time and loved seeing you in the penguin costume! I also think you blend right in with the girls and could pass as 15 with your pigtails!

Marcie said...

Such good thoughts. It reminded me of my fears 8 years ago that if I ever had a daughter she would turn out to be as horrible as the girls I was the cheerleading advisor for. It gives me hope to see that there are strong, caring teens as well.

Michelle Alley said...

Based on the costume, you look like the perfect yw leader! Thanks for sharing what you learned. You sound like just what the girls need.

JDM said...

Kara,
I am so glad that you put that costume on. It's a really great shot! I also have to say that my favorite leaders were always the ones who just knew they were cool and would get silly like that with us or for us. Those girls will never forget you.
I also have to say that I love reading your blog you have such great insight into life.
Jen