Wow! I must have really scared people with my last post. I expected lots of opinions and have gotten...NONE! You probably think I'm just not posting the comments because they are mean and nasty. I would probably post one like that if I got it just to prove someone read it! So, I'm not really sure what the lack of response means. I'll just assume everyone agrees...it'll make me feel better.
*UPDATE* Looks like I'm the idiot! (I know some of you aren't surprised) I thought that when you had comment moderation on it would email you the comments to accept and/or reject. I was wrong. A friend emailed me and said they were probably in there somewhere. She was right!! I feel better now. I didn't even have to reject one comment. I love to hear how everyone feels...even anonymous...who disagreed with me....nicely!
Anywho...
I wanted to write a bit about a new rule we implemented in our house. I LOVE it and no one is more surprised than me. A couple of weeks ago we decided that there would be no T.V on school days. Even if school work and household duties were finished...no T.V. (okay, Nora gets an hour a day...while the kids are in school) I was expecting weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. I got a phew "oooohhhhh"'s, but that's it. They don't even ask any more.
Do you want to know what's more surprising? They keep themselves...BUSIER!! I thought they would be needing me more and the house would be loud and crazy. Nope...just the opposite. The one concession is that the house is messier, but I'll take it. They are the best kind of messes....the ones that show a lot of creativity and togetherness have taken place. I'm seriously loving it. So, if you've ever considered ditching the T.V....do it. Your only regret will be that you didn't do it sooner.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
On a lighter note...
Posted by kara jayne at 3:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









10 comments:
We had "no TV week" when the kids were little and we even implemented a "no TV month" once . . . both with spectacular results. I don't know how it happened exactly but our family doesn't watch TV anymore - at all. We haven't watched it for a couple of years and I LOVE IT! We own a big screen but we keep it in the basement and use it for general conference, the olympics and DVD's on the weekend.
Life is so much better!
I'm proud of you
glad it has worked for you...I have tried, but my children don't entertain themselves as well, so I spend too much time entertaining, and then the house really is a wreck, and other important things don't get done. I do limit it though to a half hour of screen time a day (that includes movies, t.v., and video and computer games)for those in school, and an hour for those not in school yet.
It takes a lot of monitering to make sure no one goes over their time though...perhaps I will try the no t.v. thing again at some point.
Girl...you are one brave mama and I LOVE it! No tv on weekdays, that is awesome but I don't think "I" could stick to it. Cuddling up in front of the tv with my lover after the kids are in bed is one of the best times of the day!
I loved your last post...didn't read it till you mentioned it in this one. Totally insightful and I agree with a lot of what you said.
Hmmm....interesting. You know, I have a few fav. shows I tape and then watch when I am up late working and the kids are snoozing. Other than that, I am not a fan of the t.v. I must have a little ocd because it is almost like I get anxiety when the t.v. is on and the kids are vegging (sp?) out. I feel we need to be doing "something." So, I might implement this. I'll let ya know! Thanks for being the brave one to go first....and for the idea!
P.S. I am glad your brother-in-law enjoys working for Schein. That is good to know!
P.S.S. Did you notice my post on Pay's baptism? She is wearing the same dress you had for Ella. Angie B. emailed me with the dress site and said she ordered Ellie's there and your Ella's was from there too. Just appreciating you lovely ladies and all your great ideas! THANKS!
I got rid of satelite about a year ago. It was so nice cause there were no cartoons after 4:00. My kids had to play. I got it back after about 6 months at my husbands persistence. I have had buyers remorse ever since. It was so nice when we didn't have it. It gives you time to do many other things and keeps a lot of bad things out too.
I agree with you. This year I basically stopped watching tv since I'm teaching early am seminary. I am amazed at how much more time I have...and how much less junk I eat at night.
(p.s. I know your friend, Lane. I used to babysit her...and her mom was my YW leader. Hi, Lane! Did you go to Brighton, too? If so, you probably know my other sister, Amy...It's a small world, huh?)
I love it when you get political. I think you have a lot of good things to say, and I like hearing your opinion, especially because with your background I know you know what you are talking about.
I really want to do this but am a little afraid and don't think I'll get DH on board. All I have done so far is eliminate TV in the morning, unless they are all packed up and ready to go and are just waiting for me.
Inspiring, i'm loving this learning from other mothers thing. I'm so grateful to have such an abundance of information at my figertips. On another note regarding your previous post, I couldn't even respond. I've stopped listening to the news, I'm so sick of politics and I could throw up. I feel that we don't have a voice, it's all about bribes lining peoples pockets to get the desired outcome. We've lost our voice as Americans and i'm a little depressed about it. Perhaps i'll get my second wind and get involved again but not for a while. I do love to see your passion and desire though. Love you!
Kara, our family started this about 5 months ago and it has been genius! Our evenings are so much calmer and everyone gets their things done without a lot of nagging from me. I have to admit, however, that Ryan and I go crazy with the TIVO once the kids are in bed!
Post a Comment