Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sunday Stew on Tuesday...you know...like leftovers...YUM!!

So I was out of town on Saturday and Sunday, so I was a little behind on the Sunday Stew anyway. Then, Blogger has decided to make me pay for more storage or no more uploading pics! On top of that...once I paid for the extra storage, Google took it's sweet time to post the payment and allow me to start uploading again.

*ADVICE*
If you are taking pictures with a fairly high quality camera...compress the images before uploading to Blogger or you too will have to pay for more storage. Thanks to my brilliant brother in law Colin, I now know how to do that. Another bonus of compressing my pics is that they upload SO MUCH FASTER!!!

Now, back to the stew.
So, I've made it no secret that I've been a little stressed lately. Well, turns out I've got an ulcer. LOVELY! I have always carried my stress more physically than emotionally, but nothing like this. I've had headaches, neck and shoulder tightness, heartburn, and trouble sleeping throughout the years during times of stress. Now it has started to affect me emotionally too. I used to be the picture of happiness and optimism, and that has been lost a little somewhere along the way. I guess the ulcer just confirms what I've known for quite some time now...I am under a tremendous amount of stress these days. I'm sure a lot of it is self-inflicted, but it is very real to me. So, hopefully things will improve soon, and I can be back to my happy sunny self.
Yes, the kids have been driving me crazy, buy I promise I haven't resorted to this yet. Nora's new thing is to climb into Maggie's crate and hang out. I will admit it cracks me up, then grosses me out. Luckily I wash Maggie's mat and blanket a few times a week.
The other day as the madness of the day was reaching a fever pitch, I looked out the window and saw this lovely rainbow. It had been raining for a couple of days and it just looked so beautiful. The picture really doesn't do it any justice. I had to call all the kids over to see it, and they were just as entranced. Isn't the world amazingly beautiful?
So these pictures pretty much describe the state of my house, my children, and my life right now! Nora continues to disrobe, the boys continue to wrestle any chance they get, the laundry continues to pile up, and the house continues to get messy despite my best efforts. Go figure!
Ella and I were able to take a quick...I mean quick trip to Utah over the weekend. We were in Utah for about 48 hours. We went to be there for my niece Romey's baptism. She is Ella's best little friend/cousin, and these girls can't get enough of each other. It's so fun to see them smiling and giggling all the time. I am so mad at myself for not taking pictures, but we sure had a great time. This picture of Ella and the snowman was the only one I snapped all weekend! She could not get enough of the snow and made this snowman in about 15 minutes in my sister's back yard.

This was taken in Rome this past November.
I must say that my SIL Sue and her husband Ryan are some of my favorite people EVER!! I was continually amazed at how they live their lives. They are such good people with their values completely in order...and their house! I'm sure the fact that every drawer, closet and cabinet I opened was meticulously organized didn't do well for my guilt, let alone my stomach issues. I can't believe how much they can accomplish, and still be the fun loving, warm people they are. I'm so glad we are related. It does make me sad that we live so far away though.
I was so glad that my other SIL (Paul and Ryan's sis) Jenny was able to be there and have a little sleepover with us. We have been friends since high school, (more about that coming in another post) and I feel so lucky to be her SIL. I've learned so much from Jenny throughout the years and feel so blessed that she is in my life. I wish we talked/saw each other more, but life is busy. I sure love you Jenny.

I was also able to quickly see my parents and head to our most favorite restaurant the Cowboy Grub...love that place. We stayed with my sister Heather the first night there and she was...as always...ready with some good advice. She always makes me feel better about myself. She is so great at putting things into perspective for me. I need to see her more. I guess you can see that's a pattern with my relatives.

We are home now and life is as crazy as ever. Well, sorry about the leftovers...it really is about that dull this week isn't it. I'll have to add a little spice to the recipe next Sunday.

17 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh man... hope that ulcer takes care of itself. Doesn't sound like fun. Don't worry, you aren't the only one with laundry up the wazooooo and a disordered house. I just have to do my best and take it a moment at a time.
So, have never heard of google making you PAY for pictures... what is that all about? You must tell me how to alter my pictures so I don't get to that point. Guess everyone tries to think of ways to make money. Love you you just always put things into perspective. You are so real, honest, and tell it like it is... love it. Get Well.

Kristie Young said...

Kara, it does my heart good to see your laundry scatterred in your living room. Mine has been the same way for 5 years. I am trying Tiffany's approach lately. Wash the clothes like mad all day not even stopping to fold unless they wrinkle easily and then fold at the end of the day. She claims it works for her. It has yet to work for me.

Another thing I noticed about getting stressed is that I am the most stressed when my relationship with Matt is not as emotionally intimate. In short I NEED LOT"S OF LOVE AND REASURRANCE. Apparently he is the same. When I make more of an effort to be that for him we are all happier.

We went to the worldwide training meeting this last sunday night. It was all about the family. It touched on a lot of the topics that I personally felt stressed me out as Matt and I had not yet come to any agreements on the topics. Thanks to the training meeting. He has really started to understand the pressures of family life and how essential sharing the burden is.

I am sure your husband has this all figured out.

We are still learning so much. I certainly trail Matt though as a spouse. He is a fabulous husband. We are just trying to find a balance so that life can be more of a joy and less of a burden.

When we share life in every way as an equally yoked couple life is lighter.

And as we try and follow the spirit in all we do; media, language, conversations, how to use time, when to work, when to rest, etc. etc. We are more unified and again life is lighter.

We frequently are the oddballs though when we have to say no to offers to go bowling at a casino or see a movie that I know will make me uneasy.

But the reward is peace when you've got the love of your life by your side getting it and knowing that his life, my life and our life is slowly becoming more and more aligned with what our Heavenly Father wants.

There is something so theraputic and healing about knowing that Heavenly Father approves of your actions and because of that approval he is paving the way for greater happiness.

I think you are great Kara! I love the way you talk about the real day to day stuff that I at least feel regularly and I am sure others do as well.

Good luck!

Sorry for the novel. I am sure you know all of this. It is more for me. I needed to remind myself.

Shy Little Violets said...

I love you Kara and hope that I too can learn something from your post. Stress management isn't a priority for a lot of us and we ALL have stress in one form or another. Our support systems can be our biggest source of strength, i'm glad that I have one similar to yours. I love you and hope your life becomes exactly what you've always hoped it to be. I think it already is it's just a matter of recognizing it. Love your cuz Melinda

Unknown said...

Guess what? My house looks just like that too!! And my boys don't stop wrestling either. Add a full size dog to the mix and that is why the whole extended family calls us "The Circus"!

I just had to giggle because I recognized the duct tape on Nora's diaper. That is soooo funny!

RoRo2 said...

The rainbow picture is gorgeous! I love double rainbows.

I'm also curious about this whole blogger making you pay thing, because you have too many pictures loaded already???? and how do you compress pictures? (and do you know how to on an apple?).

Marcie said...

I, too, laughed at the duct tape on Nora's diaper.

Made me feel so much better to see the picture of your boys wrestling. Mine are at it 24/7 lately...always with shirts off...and always ending in someone crying.

I also am feeling this week more overwhelmed and out of control than usual. I have even been getting up at 5:00 am to work out, read scriptures, get ready and make breakfast before the kids wake up...there still isn't enough time in the day to do everything.

Here's to hoping you are able to find some peace!

Lane said...

I don't know what you're talking about that you're not your "sunny self", when in every picture you have your big, genuine smile, and you are overflowing with love for the people around you!

I'll just have to take your word for it, but you look like you're doing a pretty good job. I'm sorry about the ulcer. That doesn't sound fun.

Tiffany said...

Oh Kara! I'm so sorry about the ulcer. I experience heartburn on a regular basis (mainly b/c I eat too much chocolate), but an ulcer . . . yikes!

I loved the rainbow picture. It looked like a painting to me. That Arizona sky sure is pretty.

Glad that someone else's daughter loves to disrobe. At least it's warm there! I threaten Loie that has to stay in her bed until she gets clothes back on. It usually works!

cabrenchley said...

I laughed when I saw the pictures in your house. It looks just like what is going on over here. I actually just took similar ones I was going to post this week. One child always with clothes off, the boy with his shirt off and I am ALWAYS mid laundry. You are lucky to have two boys, my one son is always trying to wrestle with girls that don't want to play that way. Hence the non stop crying. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
CB

Jessica said...

I cannot wait to have a good, long chat with you at Blogapalooza. We need to discuss your stress. I think you and I are very similar, but I have no ulcer, so we need to talk about what is going on with you!

You do such a great job at your life, and your blog (and your friends' comments) prove those things and so I hope you are working through those expectations of yourself, so you are at ease a little bit more!

Shawni said...

That's the kind of friend you are that you would offer to take my kids when you are all stressed out, with an ulcer. I'm so sorry about that. I feel bad I haven't helped out while Paul's been gone so much. You need to drop the kids off and go get a pedicure! Maybe Friday?? Or maybe we should swing a babysitter and go get pedicures together!

Sally said...

Hey! Trying to get back into the game (at least a little :) As usual, loving the stew. The rainbow picture is perfect! It made my day. I am going to call you this week to catch up.

Anonymous said...

great to see a picture of sweet Jenny!!!! She is as beautiful as ever!!! Hang in there Kara!!! Now that you know you have an ulcer and can take care of it, I know things will fall into place. No one is up to their "A game" when not feeling physically great. Get your tummy feeling well!

Ashley said...

It was so great seeing you this past weekend, even though it wasn't quite long enough! I'm glad you got to escape and have a quick little fun weekend with the girls. And an ulcer, Kara? Oh my! Take it easy and get better. You know that I think the world of you and that you are beautiful inside and out. I hope Paul's test went well and that things will get a little better soon. Take care of yourself and Happy Valentine's Day! Lots of love to you!

crystal said...

Hey--I love leftovers! The flavors "marry" as the dish sits. (There's a metaphor in there somewhere; I'm too tired to figure it out.)

I think Jessica's right; we'd ALL do well to examine our high expectations for ourselves. Perfectionism is a poison. I've been thinking a lot about my own expectations and how they contribute to my anxiety attacks. (I want to be in on that conversation at Blogapalooza, Jessica!) I've been realizing that my kids will be happier with a MORE relaxed mom and a LESS clean house.

Deep thoughts.

Your smile is so pretty. I'm totally jealous :)

Cheryl said...

What rotten news about having an ucler, but I thinks its always better to know so you can treat it and that means relax, don't worry about the house, the kids love you and you are doing an amazing job. Really, I think you are incredible.

I loved the pic of Nora in the dog crate. My girls continue to play around my toilet all day long. They don't care one bit that the boys have issues aiming!

The family room/kids running around could be taken straight from my home. Brynn is on her THIRD diaper of the morning and she chucked 2 in the tub when Kaitlyn was still enjoyin the warm water. They are not 2 yet, but potty training isn't too far from my mind.

Love the duct tape on Nora's diaper. I have pictures of my Josh with dish towels tied around his waist to try to keep them on!

I too loved the rainbow. We had one the other day and my kids called me out to see it. I think it's those precious little moments, like glimpses of heaven, that we realize that it will all work out, no matter how much laundry is waiting, no how many spills on the carpet or errands needing to be run. You are doing your best and that is all that matters!

Love the stew. Keep it coming! We are always hungry for more!

Anonymous said...

I love you! For no other reason than your kid is always naked. I feel like white trash because I can't even get Olivia to let me brush her teeth and hair, let alone keep her dressed. And I love that your room looked lived in, like mine does ALWAYS. You are fabulous with a capital F.

I hope your ulcer goes away. I don't get ulcers, but I do get bad TMJ. At one point the doctor said my jaw might snap from the pressure. It was horrible. But I learned a few tricks about relieving the stress, and it's doing better.

PS... I wish Sue was my SIL, too!