The school my kids go to had an assembly (aka propaganda) the other day where a "Karate Master" came and showed them some sweet moves and of course got all the kids hyped up about Karate. Don't get me wrong...I don't have anything big against Karate, I just don't love how they do it in a school assembly and then offer classes at the end. Yes, it is a school fund raiser, but how are you supposed to "fight the power" when your kids come home all brainwashed about how they HAVE TO do this. I HATE school fund raiser assemblies. I'd seriously just rather write a check. Am I lazy? Stuck-up? I just don't love asking people to buy things from me. If it's something useful I'll ask people that I think may want it anyway, but otherwise I order one for us and that's the end of it. Anyway, I was doing the Kindergarten pick-up that day and the three boys I picked up were in the backseat divulging their plethora of Karate knowledge to each other. Many of the statements started with "Master Preston said...." I deduce that he was the Grand Master of the propaganda/assembly and is now the new hero of all boys at the school. Then I hear my Jack say:
"Kung-Fu is Spanish for Karate in China." Huh?!!
Friday, February 29, 2008
Master Preston and Jack's Funny Quote!!
Posted by kara jayne at 2:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









17 comments:
My kids ALWAYS think they are totally winning the ride in the Hummer after those stupid assemblies. I'm all about just writing a check.
I totally agree about the sales pitch. I wish I could find out about the fundraiser assemblies ahead of time and then convienantly take my kids out of school at that time. They don't need the pressure.
I've never heard of fundraising assemblies that try to get the kids to take lessons or anything else besides "Go sell as much of this junk as you can." I totally think they ought to have an opt-out for parents that can afford it. Me - can't afford it, so I'm stuck with the begging others (mostly Wade's co-workers) to buy stuff. And I usually tell my son he can participate in ONE selling stuff fundraiser a year for school.
my kids ALWAYS think every word is spanish for something. hahaha! this was so cute! i hate assemblies too.
I think all children naturally speak spanish. My kids think they are fluent.
And I'm with you on not riding the fundraiser train. I am the lame Mom who doesn't let my kids participate. I don't have the time to walk around the neighborhood twice, to get orders and then deliver them. Now, if they were selling girl scout cookies... that's a different story.
I'm with you - I don't like fundraisers. I always feel bad when kids in our neighborhood come to my house selling "stuff" and I feel obligated to buy. I hate saying no. I know, I think they've all figured out what a sucker I am. I can't believe they did that in an assembly. Not right!
I didn't know they could do that in school! Is that what I have to look forward to with public schools? Funny about Jack thinking he knows Spanish!
Ugh. Ditto on the fundraiser assemblies.
yes, hand me my checkbook and save some trees by not printing out SOOOO many flyers, booklets, catalogs showcasing all the cheesy prizes kids can win by asking everyone and their dog for money. I'm with you 100%.
Well said. My boys seriously thought they would win a Wii this year as a fundraiser prize. That's about as possible as me winning the lottery without buying a ticket. It just never happens.
I participate in one fund raiser a year and buy wrapping paper and try to spread it out between the boys. Seriously who needs, karate, Market Place orders, magazines, PTA baskets, etc, etc, every other week? It's too much.
I have never heard of an assembly that pushed something. That boarders on brainwashing in my book!
The one thing the boys were dying for this year was some silly backpack and Chick-Fil-A coupons if you donated blood. I certainly can't give for all three, but if they could have, they would have pumped me dry!!
Good Luck!
I agree with all the comments. Jim just tells them that he'll take them to the dollar store to buy whatever prize they want if we don't have to participate.
Okay, regarding Karen's Costa Rica blog...If they are serious about renting it out for a few weeks w/o selling it any time soon....how about we get some family together and get talking about it...this would be so super fun. What do you think? Trent and Brian both speak Spanish, does Paul?
Jennie
I totally agree with you Kara. That's so funny about the boys in the backseat, though. That's a keeper!
Kara,
I totally took karate when I was in 5th and 6th grade ha ha...it was fun but not through the school...how weird?!
ewwww fund raising assemblies. My sister get tired of them. With 5 kids in school and them charge you to see your own kid...yea...she gets tired of them FAST
I am totally with you on the fundraiser thing. I don't mind so much if it is something we will really use. I would not be a very good sales person because I am way to intimidated to approach someone to purchase something.
Is Jack going to take karate now?
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KARA!!!
Post a Comment