I don't even know where to start. The debacle in West Virginia? No. The sick sinking feeling in my gut? No. I think I'll just send you to the person who said it best...Erika. I have never been good with words and when I try, they never quite come out the way I want them to. If you want to know how I feel politically then read this post. Let me know what you think. I have a deep love of this country. I also have great faith in the people of this country. Perhaps I can get my mind off it today after staying up until 2-3 am wathching and fretting about this whole deal. Am I crazy?
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Yup! I'm Talking Politics
Posted by kara jayne at 9:25 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









6 comments:
I feel the same way! I loved reading Erika's post. Why aren't there more of us that feel this way? I am so scared about what is happening and can't even think about what will happen if certain people become president!!!!!
I really loved that post, thanks. I too feel that we need more accountability for our actions & less blaiming someone else for our problems. However, on the flip side there are those that aren't given the same opportunities I have been given, (a middle class income growing up, a mom & dad that encourage and support me, examples of how to provide for myself) and thus are less likely to achieve what they are capable of. Yes, there are the few like Lincoln that rise above it on their own, but there are many more that need a helping hand and guidance to find that path along the way. NOT a hand out, however. I really like the way the church does welfare. It isn't meant to be a long term program, it's meant to help you out & get you back on your feet, and you have to give something in return. I think too many programs in the US that could do that have become a way of life instead of a stepping stone. For example, when we lived in Wisconsin, my husband was doing an internship for which we paid 11,000 dollars a year for the privelige. The program also strongly requested that he not work during that time. So he found a work-study job for $250/ month. Since we had two young children I was staying at home. So we borrowed as much as we could in student loans, and then lived on food stamps, government housing, and state run health care. If it hadn't been for those things we would not have been able to afford to finish his education. Now we are fully independant and paying back into those programs through taxes. So yes, I think government programs are necessary to ensure that all americans have a CHANCE to succeed, however, there should be a limit to them, and how long one can live on them.
(Sorry this is a bit long, but you said you wanted to know what everyone thought, and I didn't know how to make it shorter- you know me, it could have been a lot longer.)
I remember being SICK to my gut when Bill Clinton won, I really thought it was the end of the U.S of A. WE seemed to survive. Last night I was mad, mad at Huckabee for wasting peoples votes and made at liberal conservatives for voting for MaCain. Mitt REALLY is a smart guy and will pull this country thru it's economic slump and the illegal immigrant problem and many other things that I think and believe he would make better. If he doesn't pull ahead SOON, then hopefully he'll run in 4 years to clean the mess up! Oh, and don't even get me started on Democrats!
Love ya!
kara-i don't know where to start, but i've been feeling so sick about everything as well and i really fear that hillary and obama will join up and win the presidency (we may move out of the country if hillary's in the oval office!) But matt then reminds me that God is in control--thank goodness!! people don't like to talk about politics with people who disagree with them, but i think it's so important b/c many people don't seem to really think through their 'beliefs' about politics. If we aren't willing to step out and ask the hard questions of people, nothing will change. but i feel like so many people in this country are educated about politics based on the media and that is scary!!! i'm planning on doing a post about politics myself, so hopefully i don't offend too many people!
Hi Kara!
I found your blog via Kristin's. Hope that all is going well in AZ. I'm not sure what the debacle in WV is all about, but I agree with you regarding the sense of entitlement in this country. My parent's generation knew how to save and spend money, and to not over-extend themselves. People today just spend however they want and expect the government to bail them out if they get in trouble.
On a political note, I believe that the Republicans have a better chance of defeating Hillary because of her polarizing views but it's not worth the risk of having her as our president. I would rather face-off with Barack and take our chances. Yes, I'm a republican and have always believed in a smaller government. What I've never been able to understand is as our country continues to grow in population and wages, why should our taxes need to increase?
Rollie Woodward (former Gundersen slum resident)
Thanks for sparking this discussion--I have not thought about the election in these terms, and I'm constantly needing to broaden my perspective. I liked Annie's comments, especially because I feel like I'm just not in a position to judge what other people need, because me and everyone I really know lives a very priviliged life--and I didn't "earn" it myself, but through the privilige of my family and upbringing. I'm not thrilled about government spending--but I also feel I should do my part to elect someone who will help those who really need it, not just further my own agenda.
Olivia wrote an interesting post on this that makes the point much more eloquently http://www.oliviabirdsall.com/2008/02/mother-teresa-and-super-tuesday.html
Post a Comment