Tuesday, January 22, 2008

TTA - No Regrets, Just Lessons Learned

I don't like to think too much about the "I wish I would haves" of life. For the most part that has served me well. I do not live in the past. When I do allow myself to go there though, there are a lot of things that come to mind like:
  • I wish I would have gone to Dental Hygiene School.

  • I wish I would have kept a journal...all different kinds. (life, scripture, books read, etc.)

  • I wish I would have enjoyed my newborns more.

  • I wish I would have taken more pictures.

  • I wish I would have run track in High School.

  • I wish I would have run for office instead of Cheerleader.

  • I wish I would have learned to cook.

  • I wish I would have trained harder for my marathon.
By far my biggest regret in life though is that my friend Liz Pike-Murdock didn't sing at my wedding. Long story, but I still cry if I talk about it or think about it too much.

Luckily, when I look at that list and all the things I could have put there, there is nothing life altering. I actually had a hard time thinking of things to write. Boy am I grateful for that.

Now, on to the "I'm so glad I..." part of this post. We could be here all day!!! I am so glad I did everything! I would not be here now if not for the paths I chose. Of course there are certain things that stand out, so I will attempt to get them down here.

First, I am so glad that I was raised by parents that valued "experiences" more than "things", because the experiences I have had in life are my most cherished possessions. Here are some of the highlights:
I am so glad I was baptized at the age of 8 by my brother Brad. For me it is such a special bond, and one I will always cherish. I attended the baptism of one of Ella's little friends a couple of months ago and there was a little girl there getting baptized by her older brother. The second I saw them sitting on the front row together I was a weeping mess. It was so cute to see him with his arm around her and lean over to whisper something in her ear. I am so glad I share that with my awesome brother.

O.K. I know I've posted this picture before, but It's the only one I have of me in my Senate Page uniform. I swear I have one somewhere of me with Senator Jake Garn, but I haven't found it yet. So, another thing I am so glad I did was spend a semester my Junior year of High School as a Senate Page in Washington D.C. Four of my older siblings had done it and so of course I applied too. Every year the Senators from each state sponsor a Junior in High School to work as a Senate Page each semester. I remember filling out my application with excitement but apprehension. It sounded like a lot of fun, but at the same time I would be missing football season at school and a couple of school dances (Oh, woe is me!) Of course, at the time it seemed like a huge sacrifice, but luckily I knew that you can never go wrong with choosing the road less traveled by.

There were so many times during the months I lived on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C. that I thought about how much the people back home were missing out. I felt so blessed to be chosen and able to have that experience. It has given me a lifelong love of politics, a sense of patriotism, and a sense of duty to feel informed and active in how our government works. I would never give up the things I experienced for anything.

I am so glad I went to college. I started out at BYU, which I LOVED, and ended up graduating from the University of Utah. So, I guess my blood runs....purple?! I was so glad I was able to have the experience of living "away" even if it was just and hour away. I am SO SO SO SO SO glad that I went on Study Abroad to Israel for six months in 1995. It would have been really easy for me to not go since Paul and I had been dating for a year and a half and were really serious. I knew I wanted to marry him, but I had ALWAYS dreamed of going to Israel. When I was accepted, I knew that this was an opportunity that would not come around again. I knew that if it was the right thing for us to get married that it would be the right thing when I got home. It only took him until my plane from SLC landed in NYC on the way to Israel to call me at the airport and tell me he had a temple date set. So, I guess you could say I was pretty much engaged while I was there. I cannot put down in words how much the things I saw, the way I felt, and the people I met have influenced my life for good. It is more valuable than I can express. I was able to go to Egypt, Jordan, and of course all throughout Israel. Here I am with cute Mindy on the Israel/Lebanon border! Again, amazing experiences. I am so glad I got my Masters Degree when conventional wisdom would say that it was the worst timing in the world. I had three kids, no friends, a husband who was rarely home, it was bitter cold 8 months of the year, and we were dirt poor! It ended up being the best thing for me at the time. Do I use my degree in Exercise Physiology? Yes, for myself...but no, I don't make any money off of it. But, that's my point. Things you can take with you IE. education, experiences, memories, relationships, are the things that matter the most. I always say that I could be a student my whole life. I love school and I love gaining more knowledge. Perhaps someday I'll go back. I will never regret the time and cost involved in my education...even if I never make a dime from it!On a less serious note, I am so glad we got a Mac a few months ago if simply for the reason that I can do funny photo booth pictures with my kids. O.K., there are so many reasons I love the Mac, but photo booth is awesome. My kids will make little videos, and then at night I come down and watch them and laugh my guts out. Funny to hear what they have to say when they are alone. Now all I need is private tutoring on this thing so I can really use it! Sue, it looks like you are a pro already. Be prepared to give me some tips when I see you for Romey's baptism!I am so glad I am a part of this big crazy family. This is all five of my siblings, their spouses, their kids, and my parents this summer at a family reunion. These are the best people in the world!!Last and most important I am SO GLAD I married this guy!! (Isn't he so cute?!) I'm speechless when I think about what my life would be without him. Everything he does is for our family. He is the hardest working, smartest, most determined husband. I wouldn't want to make this journey through life without him. So, by far, the thing I'm most glad I.... is go here...with him...that beautiful day in July 1995!!

15 comments:

Sally said...

Brandon Said,

Great Post Kara, Ill be down there again in March hopefully I can get a chance to see you guys this time. I will probably come down Saturday the 1st and take Paul golfing if thats Ok. Im hoping Sal will be up for coming down as well.

♥Shally said...

I saw that you are coming to Blogapalooza. YAY! You will be the only person I know in real life, even though we only met briefly. We need to hang!

Marcie said...

Great post. I think it is always uplifting to read about others "blessings".

andrea said...

I know I don't know you but I linked to your blog from somebody's sidebar and have been reading for a couple of weeks now. I just have to ditto everything you said about Israel. I was there for winter/Spring semester 1993 and loved it. I too left behind my boyfriend and we got engaged the second I got home. Your Israel pictures brought back great memories and I just had to comment.

Sarah said...

Ok. You got me thinking on this post. I may just have to do the same sort of thing on my blog. my mom keeps telling me that I need to write more "personal" experiences so the blogging world knows I am human. Great post. fun pictures. love photo booth. we have a Mac but don't know what that is. please do tell.

Shy Little Violets said...

Kara, you are so inspirational. I love your bit about school. I totally agree that it is what we take with us that matters, not how much money we make with it. I've encouraged my hubbie to go back to school because it would enrich his life so much. I wish I could go but for now i'll just live vicariously through him. Love ya!

Rachel said...

You have really invested in the most important thing...you! All your experiences and choices have led to increased human life value, what an inspiration! So glad you decided to come to the other side and get a mac, they are so easy and fun (I'll never go back to anything else). It seems that anyone who has one makes it their mission to spread the good news, me included!

smithfam said...

What a great post! I loved all of the great pictures and hearing about all of your fabulous adventures.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Jessica said...

That was a great post...such interesting regrets, as well as the happy ones. My sister just got accepted for the Israel program and is so stressed about the money it will cost her (my parents can't help) but I keep telling her, when her cars are old and her clothes look stupid...her memories are NEVER old or stupid!

Kirkland's said...

Great job on your post, I need to do more "past" stuff, it's fun to hear your thoughts and see pics. I'd be sad about Liz not singing at my wedding too - she's amazing! But really, your biggest regret? Wow - life's good to you!

JDM said...

Kara,
I love the pictures. Some of them are so amazing its hard to believe that they are real. Thanks for sharing your life. Its one of the reasons that I love reading your blog so much.
Also nice work getting a Mac! We love ours.

Julie said...

What an awesome post! I regret not going to dental hygeine school too although my brother totally tried talking me into it.

Shawni said...

Great post, Kara. I especially love the picture in front of the pyramid...you look EXACTLY like Ella in it. Fun to hear about all that stuff.

Lane said...

I've sometimes thought about regretting running for cheerleader instead of for officer...but then cheerleaders WERE offericers (albeit second-class) at our school, and that way I can tell people I was an officer if I want to.

Plus, being a cheerleader meant your outfit was pre-determined half the days of the week--which is a sweet gig. I wouldn't mind having a uniform now...

Erika said...

What a great life!! Loved reading this. And I always love seeing all your pictures. Your Israel pics brought back lots of memories. What an amazing place. I don't think I realized that you got your masters when you had a few little kids--I am soooo impressed!