Monday, January 14, 2008

Sunday Stew... perhaps this is a new trend!

I like the idea of taking time every Sunday to write down my thoughts and catch up a little on blogging. So, I may make the Sunday Stew an institution here on the Crazy Good Life blog. By the way, I'm so glad I chose that name for my blog because it really describes how I feel almost every day!My Mom and Dad are in town again while they look for a possible house to buy here! They may just join the ranks of the many snowbirds here that double our population from Nov. to April, and make Costco the place to be at lunch time! Anyway, my kids have been loving having them around, and Nora thinks Papa is the best thing since...well...Daddy! Here they are hangin' out in the guest room.The last two mornings we've looked out the window to see ducks in our swimming pool! It's so fun, but of course they always fly away as soon as I get the camera out.I had to take some pictures of our Christmas picture wall/nook because eventually it will come down. I got over 110 Christmas cards this year. I sent out 150! That's what you get when you've lived so many places and the Christmas cards are the sole means of keeping in touch. I love this nook so much and may try to keep the pictures up longer this year. This view is of the back of the nook...Here is the left side...And here is the right side! Of course Nora has lifted many of the pictures and carried them around the house. We still have not chosen a winner of our annual "Best Christmas Photo Contest", but I will let you know when we do. It is key that Paul and I talk first, and that hasn't been happening lately. No, not because we are mad at each other, but because we have been SO DARN BUSY! I'll fill you in on all that later. Anyway, perhaps you'll see yourselves in these pictures. Don't you LOVE Christmas cards?Of course I had to document the progress of "the eye"! Doesn't it look amazing?! I love how fast kids recover from things. I'm sure by next Sunday you'll never know anything happened. I am glad to be able to go out without enduring accusing stares!

Last, but most important of the Sunday Stew this week, I wanted to share some of my experiences today. It was a challenge to get four kids ready and at church before it started at 9:00am (Paul is out of town), but we did it! It was Ward conference and it was such an awesome Sacrament meeting. Our bishop talked a lot about enduring challenges and how to have patience and gratitude. It was just what I needed. He referred to a scripture in Mosiah 24:15 that reads:

15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.

I highlighted the words that really stood out to me. I have to note that it doesn't say that the burdens are taken from you, but that you will be strengthened. I really think that I need to work on submitting cheerfully and with patience to ALL the will of the Lord. I am SO BLESSED! If I really think about all my blessings I can't complain one bit. I am so grateful for this reminder. Isn't it funny how there are things we all know and have heard before, but you just need to hear them again at a particular time?! I was so grateful that I was able to be there today in a decent seat and with my parents help so I could hear that message. I know the Lord wanted me to get it!

After Sacrament it was off to Primary. It was our first week being in charge as a presidency and I think it went okay. Once I realized that I was looking a the seating chart upside down and the kids were thoroughly confused it all got worked out. It was ward conference, so we only had to conduct and the stake leaders did the sharing time. The only snag was that all the teachers were to go to the regular meetings which left us as the ward and stake presidencies to handle all the children at sharing time. There are a few kids in primary that we were aware would need some special attention. We had worked out a game plan and of course we had to set it in motion the first day. One boy in particular loves attention...any kind he can get. He began to make noises that grew louder and louder until he was shouting. Of course I had to lovingly carry him out into an empty room and explain that he would not be able to have fun in sharing time if he acted that way. He laughed at me and proceeded to ramp up the antics. I told him that if he could sit on the chair reverently for two minutes then he could return to sharing time and every time he acted up the time would start over.

The first five minutes weren't working so hot I think because I kept saying things like,"uh-oh, you won't be able to do all the fun things in primary", or "it looks like we will be in here a long time." Once I just stopped talking to him and sat quietly in my own chair organizing my binder, he quieted down. I think the fact that I was ignoring him bothered him. He turned to me after about a minute and said nicely, "I want to go back in." I told him that he only had one more minute to go and he kept quiet. When the time was up I gave him a great big hug and told him that I knew he could do it and that I was proud of him.

When we went back into sharing time I sat right by him. He was so cute and kept smiling at me and leaning on me. I kept giving him little hugs and told him how good he was doing. He wanted to hold my hand and tell me all sorts of stories. I told him he needed to listen, but I would love to hear a story after Primary. After sitting nicely for about 10 minutes he started again with the theatrics. I took him out again and told him that I knew he could be reverent because he had done so well before. It didn't take too long this time and we headed back in. He wanted to make sure I would sit by him when we went back.

He did so great the rest of sharing time and I know I've made a little buddy for life. During the whole time I just wanted to cry when I realized how well he responded to my little hugs and pats on the back. It was obvious to me that he would rather have the positive attention than the negative. Even though there were times at first that I wanted to ring his little neck, I have developed quite the soft spot for this kid. It was another HUGE lesson for the day, that GENTLE really is the way to go. I decided right then and there that I needed to be doing more of that at my house, and not just with other peoples children. I didn't think I'd be saying this last week, but I LOVE PRIMARY!!! I am SO excited that I get to spend my time at church with all those sweet children talking about the basic things of the gospel that are most important. I've always been a sucker for the Primary music, so that's just an added bonus. I am so grateful that the Lord knows us individually and knows what we need. I really feel like He was sending me messages today and I am so grateful for that. Have a great week and hopefully I'll have a few posts before the next Sunday Stew!!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I got released from the Presidency today, so I am jealous of your beginnings! (I thoroughly believe in positive reinforcement with those Primary kids...it totally works, huh?)

Also, can you email me at jessicaromney@hotmail.com and I can get you added to the google groups we're using for the blog party!? I'm so so excited you are coming.

Amy said...

Love the primary story--James and I are in the Nursery, and apparently our ward runs right through nap time. Sometimes I want to pull my hair out, but I love them so much. I didn't think I'd like nursery, but each week I can't wait to go see our sweet little kids. Aren't they the best?!

Marcie said...

I think you have something great going with "Sunday Stew". I love it.

Shy Little Violets said...

You are an inspiration to a new mother. I will learn from your example and take this experience of yours with me. This was huge for all mothers and teachers. A little kindness goes a long way. Love you! Melinda

Sue said...

I love the cute picture of your dad and Nora!
Great Primary success story.
For some reason it's the rambunctious ones that can really get you as soon as you can break through to them. I was just released from my primary calling and it's the little rambunctious little girl that was in my class that still comes and sits by our family during Sacrament. She's also the first to come still a hug from me in the hallway. I'm so glad we connected instead of me just dealing with her for the last year. Your going to be so wonderful with your new calling!

Anonymous said...

I love your Sunday stew. Such a great idea! But I still check every day to see if you've posted!