The big news of the week is that Ella tried out for a part in the GFAA's youth production of Back to the 80's and got the part of a cheerleader. She was so excited! Her cousin Ashley is also going to be a cheerleader in the show.
She was so cute during the auditions and I'm so mad I didn't have my camera. It was SO last minute and we were not prepared AT ALL!! She came home from school saying that her friend had tried out the night before and that Friday was the last tryout night. I found out where and when and we just showed up! Once we were there we realized she would have to learn a short dance, sing a song, and do a monologue for the tryouts. Good thing she has to memorize a different every month for her school! She ended up singing a Hannah Montana song (they wanted a pop song) and doing her poem "When Santa Claus Comes." Right before she went in she started to get really nervous, but was a trooper and did her thing.
I wish I could have been in there to hear/watch her. When she came out she was on the verge of tears and kept saying she did horrible. I was just so proud of her for trying. I honestly didn't think she would get a part and wasn't to worried about it. I thought it would be good for her to know that you have to keep trying for things and work hard. It will be a great experience for her and the boys are already excited to go see the show in April! Way to go Ella!This is what I was up against on Saturday night when Paul and I were trying to get out of the house for a date!! The kids were NOT going to let him go. They were all snuggled together watching The Sandlot...daddy's favorite show.
Below you will see a variety of pictures from tonight. (Click on the pics to enlarge if you'd like) It had been raining all day and the kids just couldn't resist! Nora got her rain boots on, but decided to watch rather than join in! Daddy got into the fun and the kids thought it was all better than a night at Chuck E Cheese...THANK GOODNESS!!
Don't ask me what Ella's doing the gang signs for? We may need to talk about that...hmmm!
I picked up this little treasure at Ikea a couple of weeks ago. It is a detail reproduction of Gustav Klimt's painting The Three ages of Women. His most famous painting may be The Kiss. It makes me so happy to see this hanging in my bedroom. I don't pretend to have any great knowledge of fine art, but I sure do love it. Remember the painting I blogged about here? Well, Paul got it for me for Christmas. I love it, and someday will design (who am I kidding? I'll have it designed) a room around it.
So, our Sunday show this week was Because of Winn-Dixie. It is based on the fabulous book by Kate DiCamillo. She is also the author of another of my favorites The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. Anyway, this is such a great show!! Of course my kids were confused at why I was crying through the whole thing. I had a very emotional day for some reason today. It started in Church during the Sacrament prayers (so powerful) and didn't stop pretty much all day. Luckily I got it together during sharing time (I was in charge). Again, I digress....anyway, I was laughing that the actor Jeff Daniels was in this movie as well as the one we watched last week called Fly Away Home. He is so great in both, and it's hard to imagine that one of the stars of Dumb and Dumber could pull these off! He also appeared in The Hours (I loved that depressing show), and Goodnight and Good Luck. I guess that's talent.Well, that's all I came up with for the stew this week. I hope it's pleasing to the palate!









14 comments:
i love this whole post, i really do but my favorite is the playing in the rain. some of our best times together as a family have been playing in the rain. there is just something about playing in the rain when you're supposed to be trying to keep from getting wet.
fun family times! :)
Back to the 80's, huh? Never heard of it! It sounds great! Congratulations, Ella. What a talented little girl.
Ella looks so grown up in that pic of her playing the piano-i can't believe it! LOVE that Nora has duct tape on her diaper and I am in love with that painting Paul got you for Christmas. I have referred to your previous post (where you pictured it) several times to matt and other family members telling them how much i love that artwork and want it for my bedroom! potty training is going better--great to talk to you last week!
I was just picturing Elle trying out for that play. I'd be so curious as to what she would do. I think she'd freak out. Good for little Ella for doing it! And good for you for getting her there. And your pictures made me sad we didn't get out and enjoy the rain aside from trying to get from the front sidewalk to the front door of a friend's house while it was pouring and having the girls freak out because they thought they'd fall in the gutter which was swirling with rain. Anyway, talk to you soon.
Oh, I love that picture too. Natalie has a great one from Ikea too. It looks like I better make a trip out there!
I loved the rain pictures, they are so genuine and they look like they are having the greatest time. I also love the duct tape! Do you really put it on at every change? Too funny! Good luck on piano lessons. I am thinking I need to get my kids in lessons. I need a piano first! But, let me know any tricks you learn with getting them to practice. Good luck!
We just love seeing all the pictures of your cute family. You all are always having so much fun.
Hey Kara!
I would love to have oranges in my backyard. My kids eat those up by the dozen every week.
We started Jackson on piano last year when he was 7 and it was tough. I find I can't pratice with him every day. If we can do it 3 or 4 days a week, then great. Now that we moved, we found a new teacher who comes to our house and she is wonderful!! She is much more lenient on the praticing - maybe she sees how pregnant I am and lets me off the hook. The family rule is: you have to take two years of piano and then you can choose any instrument you want. Because of guitar hero, my boys are dying to play guitar and that has been a huge motivation for them to learn piano! Only 11 months left to go Jackson!
Way to go Ella! And I am slightly jealous that you were able to go outside to play in the RAIN! So fun!
And I am cracking up about the duct tape on Nora's diaper. Sometimes you have to be super creative with these kids.
I love your Sunday Stew because it gives a great glimps into what's been going on during your week.
Tell Ella congratulations! That's so great that she wanted to try-out. I think that was so brave at her age and a great experience.
Mary told me about Nora's great undressing ability. I'm glad you found a way to keep the diaper on. That's funny! It won't be too long before you won't have to worry about that anymore. Nora's hair is great, just keep it growing and let it do it's thing. I think it's adorable!
Paul's a great dad, and your kids look so happy that he's out playing with them. What a fun memory.
Our kids LOVE Sandlot too! It's a staple around the house, and the comment, "You play ball like a girl" is said at least once a week!
Kara,
I have been meaning to write this comment for ages, but it always seems strange to introduce myself to someone in this big blogging world, but I need to come out of the dark and just leave a little note.
I LOVE your blog. I think I first linked over to it from Marcie's after you left a comment. You tell it like it is, you love life and your family and I wish I had been able to meet you in person when you lived in Kentucky.
I too know most of your Louisville friends after spending 6 years there while my husband went to U of L medical school. Josh Madsen was my husbands college roommate and best friend and he is why we headed to the great state of Kentucky. I met Marcie Alcorn the first night there when we flew out to look for homes. She got me a job teaching at her school. I then met Sally through Marcie, tended Jessica Heyhursts son for a few months and knew the Colemans. (Not sure if you know all of these people, or what ward you were in or years you were there.) We were in the Crestwood 1st ward and lived next to the Oldham County line betweem Hwy 22 and Westport Rd.
We moved to Lexington s year and a half go. My husband Rich is now a 3 year radiology resident. We are both from Utah (Rich- Provo, Me- Salem) and have 5 children. Trey is 8, Josh and Matt are 6 1/2 and my girls Brynn and Kaitlyn are nearly 2.
I started blogging this past summer and have been amazed how it has given me so much joy! I love knowing I am not the only one doing the same thing chasing kids here and there, not the only with a crazy life and it gives something else to think about as the TV and kids are blaring.
If you would like to read along on my blog feel free too. I'll send you an invite (I can look up your email from the TTA email). I can't say I have anything really worth reading, but since I have been luck enough to read yours, it's only fair.
Have a great night and thank you for sharing so much with me.
Sincerely,
Cheryl Jackson
cnjackson@hotmail.com
Wow! Way to go Ella! That takes some guts to try out. I'm sure she will have such a great time doing that. We'll have to come see the show in April!
I LOVED the rainy day. What a fun way to spend it.
And that picture of Nora--does that look familiar!
So fun to see you at the park!!
Love the rainy day pictures! Which camera are you using? My old school canon rebel isn't cutting it anymore. Maybe if it were digital? I have a little ELPH but it isn't giving me the quality or quickness that I want. These kids move so fast that I am missing some of the most amazing shots. HELP!
I need to pick your brain on great family movies for Sundays and great children's chapter books for bedtime. I have loved your suggestions so far!
And I love your backyard. I grew up with orange trees in my backyard and have told Adam that when we move back west we will have fruit trees! There is nothing like making your own orange juice. Yum!
I have three strippers in my house. It's embarrassing to come home and see naked kids in the window. But the un-pottytrained ones are dangerous. We used to safety pin Anna's onesie so she wouldn't undress and take off her diaper. It almost came down to the duct tape! Good luck!
Post a Comment