Saturday, January 19, 2008

Oneity


One of my good friends from growing up has an amazing company. I have been enjoying the clothing for a couple of years and am SO EXCITED that his online store has now opened up. Here is his story and how the company started from his perspective.

While getting my masters in International Development at the London School of Economics I focused my studies and dissertation on how to help improve the quality of lives of people through altruistic business practices that help family and small businesses. A few years down the road I decided to put these ideas into practice and took off on a two week trip taking me to Africa and India where I focused on finding small family businesses to begin working with.

I started importing primarily girls dresses at first and setting up rounders of these items at any ones house who would let me. Mothers where excited to have something different than the usual big box offerings and when I told them about the people they were helping with through their purchases mother's were even more excited about ONEiTY.

I quickly realized that ONEiTY was a natural extension for mother's already altruistic lifestyles and this was the demographic ONEiTY would focus on. So we decided to start adding seed, nurture, and harvest projects to all of our individual products.

ONEiTY moms and dads through their purchases have been able to do things like build a water well in India, outfit a kitchen for an orphanage in India, provide oral surgery for a girl who couldn't talk or eat well because of birth defects, buy 1 liter of milk daily for a year for women who worked on our hand smock dresses, send a computer to Africa so a village could connect to a global marketplace with their handicrafts, and more.

So now with 1 trip to India, 2 to Africa, 1 to Peru, and a couple to Europe to go to the Pitti Bimbo children's show in Italy and meet with designers, here we are excited to start spreading our concept outside of Utah.

Just so you know, on average between 40-60% of the price you pay goes back to the manufacturer, and country where the product was made for fabric, labor, and projects. Most of the people we work with had never even exported a singe product to the USA before working with ONEiTY. Also many of our fabrics we have picked up as leftovers from companies like Bonpoint, Jacadi, Pinco Pallino, Hermes, and other luxury brands, these are very nice fabrics (the pictures don't do them justice).

So my friends, check this place out. If you are lucky enough to live in Salt Lake then visit their brick and mortar store in East Millcreek. You will not be disappointed!

3 comments:

Shawni said...

Sounds like a great company. Hey, I'm excited to be neighbors with your parents!

Sarah said...

love this company- l did a post on them as well. wish i lived in SLC to visit their adorable store.

Lisa Cannon said...

I've been visiting their blog lately but have yet to visit their store. Our swim lessons are at Dive Utah, so I must stop in when I'm in the area. Their clothes look darling and they do great things. I love to support companies like ONEiTY.