I just LOVE this book!! I highly recommend it. The writing is simple yet so profound in it's description of the common choices in each human life. It explores the complexity of rich vs. poor, right vs. wrong, and really gives a sense of the social and political culture of the time. The thickness of the irony in this book really makes you stop and think about where you set your heart. Sometimes the things we set our hearts on are the very things that can be our downfall. Being a Pulitzer Prize winner I have no hesitation saying that everyone should read this book!
Of course I read this book! I was so excited for it to come out. I will say that I am very happy with how it all turned out. Before reading it I wasn't sure how I felt it should end. If you haven't read it and want to, don't read the next few sentences. In one way, who would want Harry to die, in another, is it just too cheesy that he escapes as the grand hero? Well, I feel like Rowling got it just right! It is a children's/youth book after all, and they got plenty to think about without losing the hero. Hooray for Harry! 
No, I didn't get an advance copy or anything. I will have to wait until tomorrow like everyone else to read #3 in the Twilight series. Of course school does start Wednesday so I might have some higher priorities until then, but at least I can have it in my hands starting tomorrow. Is anyone else excited about this book? I will admit I didn't like New Moon as much as Twilight, but I thought in some ways it was more real. Not that Vampires and Werewolves are real, but the fact that Bella discovered a true friendship/love for Jacob and the complexities of where you come from and what you value.
Could everyone comment please and tell me some of your favorite books. I'm always looking to expand my library! What are you reading right now? What is the best book you ever read? What is the most disappointing book you ever read? Why do you love to read? That should spawn some comments right?!









7 comments:
I too, am anxious for Eclipse.
I love Girl with a Pearl Earring, by Tracey Chevalier. It was a recommendation by Sally (it's one of her favorites) and it was GREAT!
I am also a huge fan of juvenille classics some of my favorites are Tuck Everlasting and The Secret Garden.
A great nonfiction clasic is The Hiding Place. Happy Reading!
Right now I'm reading Bono, in conversation with Michka Assayas....it's an interview with Bono and if you like U2 (and who doesn't) you'll love this book. it's a great look into his beliefs, the band, and his work in Africa. I also loved the book Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, based losely on the book of Hosea. Hopefully you are still checking the comments on your old blog b/c I am going to post my favorite running tunes for you!
Hmm, favorite books. Right now I am re-reading Pride and Prejudice. I love that one. I'm also working on the Tennis Shoes among the Nephites series. We're going to see Hairspray tonight at the 9:45 show then, stop by the bookstore at midnight for a girls night out after FHE. I agree I enjoyed Twilight more than New Moon, but honestly I couldn't put either down. I love Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. I read it first in 8th grade and have reread it several times (and the rest of the series). Brian doesn't really like to read, but he loved that one too. I heard they might make a movie of it, but that was a few years ago. He's also written some religious/fiction books called the Women of Genesis series. I loved them.
I could talk forever about books. I'm such a nerd.
I'm glad your blog is up and running again. I love the book recommendations. I'm not a big reader but I really want to be. I need a few good books to get me going. I just bought Twilight since it came so highly recommended. I'll let you know how I like it.
Good luck with school starting!
i love these kind of posts from anyone because i am always looking for the good stuff to add to my long list of books i need to read.
i just read twilight and loved it, i need to read new moon, and i will be so excited to read eclipse. they're perfect summer reads.
my favorite books...a tree grows in brooklyn by ? smith. definitely one of my favorite books EVER! such a great coming of age novel. i also loved girl with a pearl earring. red tent is really good, and recently i read the history of love by nicole krauss, and i really enjoyed that.
happy reading!
Reading is such an outlet for me and I am sure for so many of us out there. I too read Harry and the Bella/Edward saga. (agree about twilight being better than new moon.)
Good reads I have read this year are: like someone else mentioned the women of genesis series and I loved Kite Runner and A Thousand splendid skies. All good books. Hoping all is well and just know that a good blog is easy to follow.
I love all the books you mentioned! I am reading the South Beach Diet at the moment...I may take the plunge since my "baby weight" isn't coming off. The most disappointing book I ever read is The Bluest Eye. It was an Oprah book, and it had some good things about it but it made me sad, depressed, and it scared me. I am not ready for that much honesty about the dark side of humanity.
At the moment, I have to listen to books on tape rather than read...my free time has to include cleaning up a bit. But...cleaning and work is so much fun if I am listening to a good book.
Post a Comment