Wednesday, June 4, 2008

San Diego-2008

So, a few weeks ago we went to San Diego with just our little family. Paul was meeting with a supplier in Carlsbad, so we turned it into an "end of the school year vacation"!! We had THE BEST TIME!!! Oh, and I LOVE Carlsbad. Seriously, Paul and I may just have to retire there. I just have to document about a toy store there that we went to. It was right by the Panera Bread where we had dinner. It is called Geppetto's. The kids were in there for over an hour playing and discovering. Max even came up to me and said, "Mom, they should call this store Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium." It was such a fun hands on store that had such great creative toys. We wish we had one here. By the way...I hate Toys R Us. Now, back to the trip...


I highly recommend everyone go on a vacation with just your family. It's so great to go with cousins, other extended family members, and even friends...but there is something about having that family bonding time. Our attention was only on each other. I LOVED not having the distractions of home and regular life and truly relished in giving the kids my full attention. It gave me a chance to realize that without all the distractions I'm a pretty good mom. I used to think that when I had only two kids. Ever since we had three my parenting has just gone downhill. It was fun to be able to see the glimpses of the capable happy mother I once was and always thought I would be. So, here are the highlights of the trip!

The kids were nervous at first to try the "Journey to Atlantis" ride at Sea World, but ended up going on it about 10 times!! I LOVE my telephoto lens and the priceless images it catches!! You really have to click on the above photos...they are hilarious! I need to remind Paul to really zoom in!

Our kids are still at really good ages for Legoland. They don't love big scary rides much either, so it's perfect. You can do it easily in one day, and it has fun for even the little kids!

This pirate ship ride was a favorite. Max had the time of his life squirting unsuspecting onlookers.

Nora really did have a great time, and caught a few zzzzz's when she could.

These kids have the best Dad in the world and loved having him all to themselves. When we got home it was major trauma when Daddy had to go back to work. We LOVE having him around. Thanks for a great trip Paul, I'm so glad we have such a great little family. I love you!

21 comments:

Rachel said...

What a great trip! I'm inspired to make it happen for our little family. You look like such a model in your pictures. How do you like your camera?

Annemarie said...

Ahhhh! My hometown! The BEST vacation EVER!!!

Erika said...

It looks like an AMAZING trip! I just died at Max on the ride. Too funny. And he went on it 10 times?! Brave Max. What a cute family!!

Shy Little Violets said...

Great pics! I love your hair by the way, it looks like you ended up going shorter. It totally suits you. Love ya!

Laura said...

You guys get around!! Looks like alot of fun, Kara.

Annie Sunshine said...

Carlsbad really is a fun town. I haven't been into Geppeto's but since Wade served his mission there I am aware of it, and after your raving I will have to make time for it next time we visit.

We've been to Legoland every spring for the last three years, and you are right it is perfect for young families. Not just the rides, but there are fun things just perfect for those grade school and preschool ages. This was our last year since we go when we visit my nephew for his birthday, but they are moving in July. But it was just as much fun on the last visit as the first!

Glad you had such a fun trip. It is so nice to get away from the everyday stuff so you can just enjoy your family.

stacy said...

we had one real vacation together as a family ALONE during fall break last year and had the time of our lives. i totaly agree with you on being a good mom on vaca. i totally felt that way.

i'm glad you guys had so much fun! now back to reality hahahaha!:)

Sarah said...

brings back flashbacks from our "family" disney trip back in March. Oh, the joys of being together as a family. SOmetimes I just wish we could run a way together for a week at a time on a regular basis. Haven't tried Legoland but is on the list now. Hopefully when we get back West in a few years.

Sorefam said...

was that little nora on the ride? what brave little kids!!

Jill said...

How stinkin' fun. Glad you had a good trip. Your family is adorable.
You looked so cute too. Did you cut your hair? I have one of those shirts you were wearing too...is it from Kohls!?

Lisa Cannon said...

Those pictures of the ride are so great, the expressions are hilarious.

San Diego is one of my favorite places. I have to agree with you that family vacations are the best! You get to spend quality time with your kids and no one else. Memories you'll never forget.

adam said...

First off, We hope to make Carlsbad our forever hometown. It has taken us a little longer to get there, but that is our hope. This post made me more determined. Too bad I wear the skirt in the family...

Second, I agree with you about family only vacations. We went to lancaster county last year and had the best time ever. We brought games for night time, and played all day.

I loved that all the distractions were gone. No talking on the phone. No checking emails. Just us and our kids, and we bonded. Our kids talk about pennsylvania every day, almost. And I know it's because the trip was so simple and so fun, and so family.

We are going again next month, and while a few friends have asked to tag along, we are doing it solo.

Anonymous said...

whoops. That was Julie, not adam. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

you're right....zooming in on those pictures was hilarious. I laughed out loud!!!!

kelly said...

looks like a great time!

Sally said...

Gotta get one of those lenses! So fun. We only do Disneyland with our little family. I think it makes All of the difference.

Fedex Nora :)

Navylangs said...

Nice to see the proof of Paul - fun pictures.
Ah Legoland - where we spent many Saturdays when we lived there. Followed by dinner at Sammy's pizza of course!

Thanks for the memory!

Cheryl said...

So fun that you took a little trip with your kids. We did Legoland a few years ago and the boys STILL talk about it. Though I'll be a Disney girl until the day I die. I could spend every day there if possible...

It's true that spending time with just your own family makes the best memories ever. I love how they talk about what fun they had with each other and made priceless memeories with just mom and dad and their siblings.

We just need a real job first and then we can do it more often instead of tagging along with the whole crew (and the parents wallets.) Sad, but true. Someday!

JDM said...

I'll have to keep Legoland in mind for when my guys get a little older. It looks like you had a great time. How long has your hair been like that? I am loving it.

diane said...

Glad you had fun in my neck of the woods!

diane said...

Glad you had fun in my neck of the woods!