Quick side story. A few days later I went into Ella's room and she was eating something. I found several wrappers on her floor and I asked her where she got the candy. She claimed that she forgot that she had hid some of it in her room. I told her that she had made the deal to give us all but the 10 pieces and that she had been dishonest. I gave her the whole "I'm disappointed" speech, along with the, "now I'm not sure if I can trust you" sentiment. She was very sad and I just left her with her thoughts, no consequences...yet. About 5 minutes later she came into the kitchen with her purse and emptied it out on the counter. I asked her what she was doing and she said it was for the candy. I was so proud of her that I started crying. She was willing to give it all back to make up for what she had done. I told her that I was so proud and that now I knew she understood. I really thought that was great because I never said anything about what I thought she should do, or what I was going to do. I did take back two dollars, but let her keep the rest. I figured she had learned exactly what I would want her to learn. What an absolute sweetie. This girls heart really is made of gold.
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Pumpkins and Trick or Treating
Quick side story. A few days later I went into Ella's room and she was eating something. I found several wrappers on her floor and I asked her where she got the candy. She claimed that she forgot that she had hid some of it in her room. I told her that she had made the deal to give us all but the 10 pieces and that she had been dishonest. I gave her the whole "I'm disappointed" speech, along with the, "now I'm not sure if I can trust you" sentiment. She was very sad and I just left her with her thoughts, no consequences...yet. About 5 minutes later she came into the kitchen with her purse and emptied it out on the counter. I asked her what she was doing and she said it was for the candy. I was so proud of her that I started crying. She was willing to give it all back to make up for what she had done. I told her that I was so proud and that now I knew she understood. I really thought that was great because I never said anything about what I thought she should do, or what I was going to do. I did take back two dollars, but let her keep the rest. I figured she had learned exactly what I would want her to learn. What an absolute sweetie. This girls heart really is made of gold.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









6 comments:
The kids look great on Halloween. It is so nice to not have to "bundle up" over the costumes to stay warm enough for Trick or Treating.
It is funny, but by the morning after Halloween my kids never asked for their candy...so I just threw it away. I think by the time the real Halloween came around they had celebrated and had so many treats all ready they were kind of over it. I think your "pay-off" sounds like a great deal.
It is great you recorded the Ella story...what a sweet girl.
Oh, your story with Ella made me tear up. What a sweetheart, and what a great mom you are. Seriously, will you come over and give my kids that same lesson? Because my talks with them don't seem to have that effect. I need to know your secret! Give me some pointers please!
Kara - I took your advice on candy from a previous post and I let my guys eat till their heart was content on Halloween night and the day after halloween, they didn't even ask where their candy went.
LOve your candy story. I lost it today and just dumped the remaining candy in the trash. They just stood there open-mouthed, but no one argued...because we've been up to our ears in candy for 2 weeks and deep down they must have understood.
What fun costumes -- I especially like yours at the ward party -- your tights and matching hat are awesome! Ella seems like such a great girl -- she must have a great mom! You are obviously teaching her and how fun that you get glimpses of how it is actually getting through. I'm not quite ready to get rid of my kids' candy because Josh and I are still enjoying it!
Can you give me tips on how you raised Ella to be so good? She is such a sweetheart.
Post a Comment