Monday, March 15, 2010

inside my head

i've recently finished a book that i thoroughly enjoyed. it really is what is says it is. there were so many funny thoughts, quips, and musings that really resonated with me and i laughed out loud throughout the book....often in public...which garnered many strange looks.
one of my favorite things she wrote was this:

"i think 90 percent of what/who we are is never really verbally communicated...
i like to write things down - moments, memories, lists, quotes, thoughts.
compulsively sometimes.
i need to gather all the thoughts that are locked in my head and put them on paper."

i completely agree that people really don't know most of what we are about. it's kept safely in our heads. a lot of the time this is a great place for it to stay, but i also think we could truly know, appreciate, and understand someone better if some of these little tidbits were exposed.

this is why i'm starting a new little feature called 'inside my head'. it'll show up any time i feel i have something...or several things about me that i'd like to document. of course, blogging in general can be a lot like this and i've done it once here, but for me i've focused more on using the blog like a scrapbook or journal. 'inside my head' will be very random...and hopefully fun.

so, here is my first list of tidbits inside my head.
  • why do i mostly write in all caps and type in all lowercase?
  • i think it's funny that my brother in law, who is an attorney, is married to a girl named sue.
  • i seem to want to buy every new piece of clothing in gray. not sure why because i see my personality more of a yellow, or green, or maybe blue....
  • what's the difference between gray-grey anyway?
  • i really like the look of flap pocket jeans but it drives me crazy that i can't just stick my phone in the back pocket on the run.
  • i am always the last to leave book club.
  • i feel bad when i realize how easy it is to make my parent's day, and that i don't do it more often.
  • i hate the lid to the pam cooking spray. it always hits the nozzle and sprays right at me!
  • it is so much easier to parent one child at a time. i'm a really good mom when i'm one on one.
  • once i sold every piece of clothing i owned (because i hated most of it) to a consignment store and took that money to buy just a small batch of things i loved. it was awesome and liberating.
  • when asking nora what she wants for her birthday her answer invariably starts with, 'hot pink sparkly'. insert whatever you want after. (purse, shoes, lip gloss, nail polish, etc.)
  • in most situations i take two stairs at a time. what does that say about me? i'm anxious?
  • i think it's weird to write a check on your birthday. one part of me wants to tell the person i'm handing it over to that this isn't any ordinary day...but i don't...because it is.
  • i'm almost always a member of the 'clean plate club'.
  • i love root beer barrel candy...but never go looking for it.
that's enough for now. i think i'll end these posts with one of the things from this book that really struck a chord with me.

'but writing with simplicity requires courage, for there is a danger that one will be overlooked, dismissed as simpleminded by those with a tenacious belief that impossible prose is a hallmark of intelligence."
-alain de botton, the consolations of philosophy

12 comments:

Amy said...

I really hope you know that you are one of my favorite people. I remember exact things you said in YW lessons..7 years ago! So that should tell you something - you leave an imprint. A good imprint!
Love these quotes, and I'll be reading that book soon.

Jeanelle said...

I love this! I love knowing what's running through other people's brains because it reminds me that there are so many people out there who are almost exactly like me (and that feels good.)

Sorefam said...

Kara--this post makes me miss running with you and be able to process life together! thought of you after just finishing two more great books...both by Dr. Meg Meeker (a pediatrician). Maybe you've already read them, but they are excellent.....Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters and Boys Should be Boys..I read them in just a few days and underlined just about half of the book!!! Miss you

Ellie McFreaken said...

Kara Jayne!!!!! I LOVE this post with a passion. I agree that 90 percent of what/who we are is never really verbally communicated...so true it's actually kind of scary because then I question how well people really DO know me.

I too have been obsessed with the color gray/grey but more like Silver.

AND I am defintely going to go sell most of my clothes and go buy a few awesome pieces of clothing. Oh I am so excited! Why do we sometimes think that more is needed? I have too many clothes that I really don't love.

Last but not least another book to add to my someday read list!

Jessica said...

That book totally made me want to do that. Too bad I read it pre-blog!

Sarah said...

kara,
i love this post!!!!! i too love gray and rootbeer barrels and simplistic writing. i totally agree that we/people don't share much of what we are all about.

and oh how i dislike the pam lid too. so annoying to spray yourself. my last can i just threw out the lid.

Erika said...

I love this post and I love you! Thanks for the book recommendation and for the glimpse into your mind ;-) (If I have been one of the last to leave at book club it is because I am talking to you ;-))

Unknown said...

YOUR little quips made me smile. Now I'm curious to read this book!

Shawni said...

Kara, you're the best.

And I'm SO glad Paul is ok! That looks like a scary collision in the last post!

Emz said...

I loved this post. Awesome. Clever idea. I don't "enjoy" reading but I may actually have to pick this one up.

510Jen said...

I love this post. I think we all need to do it more often. I will definitely be checking this book out. I too am a member of the "clean plate club" hate to admit it.

I am still going to get those patterns over to you. By the time they get there it is going to be 200 degrees. Maybe for next winter right!

Kara said...

I found myself in several of your thoughts...we share a name, we share thoughts...interesting!