As it is now the new year of 2009, it is time for me to settle on my word for the year. My word for 2007 was Simplify. In 2008 it was Gentle. This year I had a hard time coming up with the perfect word and then a few weeks ago it all came into FOCUS. And that is my word for the year...FOCUS. It poignantly states my objectives in all areas of my life. Like gentle, I can apply this word to all areas of my life and incorporate it's meaning into the day to day. Here are a few of my thoughts on how I will be FOCUSING this year.
I am going to really FOCUS on the feeling. I have long believed that when it's all said and done, all people really remember about an event, encounter, or experience is how they felt. It doesn't matter if the kids are dressed perfectly, if the kids are sitting quietly through Family Home Evening, or if the Christmas Eve Nativity play goes off smoothly...ESPECIALLY if getting to that point means yelling, reminding, and a general feeling of exasperation and frustration.
My 2007 word SIMPLIFY helped me come to terms with it being okay to use paper plates when people come over if it's been a rough day. It helped me feel at peace with the fact that I don't participate in EVERY family tradition that I've heard of or even grew up with. I have realized that if all these things are accomplished, but everyone is the worse for the wear (including me) then IT'S NOT WORTH IT... for anyone.
I am now taking those lessons to the next level with FOCUS. I'm really going to try to concentrate on those things of MOST importance. I've probably referenced an awesome article that my cousin Shawni referred to me, but I think it's worth noting again. You can read it HERE. It is exactly how I've been feeling, and where I want to go in my life as a mother. I truly believe that giving up the things that don't matter will bring me more joy in the long run as I FOCUS on the things in my life that are important.
I could list several things I plan on FOCUSING on in 2009, but I think as a mother the two most important will be teaching and nurturing my children. It is my greatest duty, and I truly believe will be my greatest joy.
Thursday, January 1, 2009
Happy New Year - 2009!!
Posted by kara jayne at 1:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










15 comments:
Good for you Kara. I simplified too much this season and it left me feeling a little sad. There is a good in-between and I think we can find that by focusing on what's important after we've done all we could to simplify. I often forget that second step.
I'll try to follow your lead this year!
What a great idea to have one word to really feel like you can work on . . . I like that and may just have to do the same. Focusing for me is hard and I hope to learn many great things from you this year as you try to focus more on what is important in your life. Hope you had a great Christmas. Happy New Year to you.
I agree, this is a fabulous idea. I am going to choose a word to FOCUS on this year too. Thanks for the ida!
Thanks for sharing!
Such a good idea
I love your idea. The article is very good. I think too often we try to do too much. The article puts it into perspective. Thanks for sharing.
I love that you pick one thing...one word to work on. I'm sure you will conquer all that needs some "focus" in your life. You are amazing.
I too love your idea. You are an inspiration! But sadly I could pick 10-15 words for this year. But baby steps right? Have a fabulous 2009!
I love this post! Thank you for the inspiration.
This is a great idea.. I'm no good at new years resolutions.. probably because I'm just not a list person. One word? I think I could do that. I think I'll pick CALM.
Thanks for the idea!
Great choice and article. Happy New Year. Hoping to see your family sometime in '09!
I had to laugh when I saw this post on my google reader, because I was just going to do my "word" post for the new year, and guess what my word is? FOCUS! I guess it means the force is strong with that word for this year. Or great minds think alike. Because I promise that word has been drumming in my head for about the past month. So here's to us both FOCUSing in 2009! (stay tuned for my post, probably a little less eloquant than yours!)
Great seeing you for a few hours! Hopefully next time we see you it will be a little longer!
I love this Kara. I need to pick my word for this year. Actually, I have to admit, I picked a PERFECT word that I was so excited about like a month ago and now I can't remember what the heck it was. That's how FOCUSed I am right now! Hope you guys had a great Christmas...talk to you soon.
Love, Shawni
Great word! Best wishes for a gentle 09! I love that pic too.
Kara - it's mimi from Israel. I happened on your blog through your facebook link - I started my word of the year thing last year - "Enjoy" and haven't come up one for this year yet. I love yours and may adopt it too. Thanks for the inspiration. I also have a Max and my favorite girl's name is Nora - I keep pushing for it - we'll see if we can use it this time around. So fun to read your thoughts and see what you are up too.
I liked that! It really made me think. I will use that in my life also. Thanks!
Post a Comment