Even though I already have two other posts today, I wanted to write about how I was so glad that it was my turn to teach the lesson today in Young Women's. It was about the importance of Journals. Of course, now that I have entered the world of Blogging, I feel for the first time that I really enjoy journaling! I am so sad to admit that I have never kept a good journal. I regret it SO MUCH now. Especially because I really have one of the worst long-term memories ever! Anyway, I just wanted to "journal" some of the thoughts and impressions that I had in preparing/giving this lesson. First of all, we wouldn't have the scriptures if it weren't for people keeping a record of their day. What a blessing! In Alma 37:8 Alma is counseling his son Helaman that records "enlarge the memory." Like I just said...that is what I NEED! It is so true though. Don't we remember things more when we have pictures and written accounts? The written accounts are imperative! That is why I LOVE blogging. At least my kids will have an account from 2007 on! One of my favorite stories in the lesson was one about a daughter of Brigham Young.
Sunday, May 20, 2007
Quick Sunday Thought
Clarissa Young, one of Brigham Young’s daughters, kept a very detailed journal during the years she lived in the Beehive House in Salt Lake City, Utah. The Beehive House was the name given to Brigham Young’s home. Clarissa not only wrote a detailed description of each room in the house, but included such things as the color of the walls, the furnishings used, and what things were set on the mantles from year to year. She even included an actual piece of the drapery fabric used in the “long hall,” the room where all formal entertaining was done. In 1954, when the Church began restoration of the one-hundred-year-old Beehive House, Clarissa’s journal was invaluable. Even the drapery sample she had kept was sent to a drapery company, and new drapes were woven to look exactly like the original ones
Isn't that an awesome story? Anyway, just some thoughts that made me even more grateful for the "find" of blogging!
Posted by kara jayne at 9:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









2 comments:
Kara-
I taught this lesson a couple of weeks ago and felt exactly the same way! If only we had blogging ten years ago. It made me super motivated to keep up with it and document as much as I could. I love the swimsuit you made for Ella! How fun to have a swim party in your beautiful backyard- I can picture it now. Post some picts for us!
I have to admit the same thing! I haven't kept an aupdated journal for such a long time. I feel blessed to have found blogging! I love it, and I look forward to recording the days happenings. How funny that Jordan is in your ward!!! What a small small world we live in. K, now I know we have to know some of the same people! You are totally invited to our next bloggers get together. It will be here at my house.
Post a Comment