Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Running in circles

Do you other Moms out there ever find yourself literally running around the house all day picking up this and that and wonder at the end of the day what in the world it was you did that made you feel so exhausted? (Maybe it was reading that horrible run-on sentence!) Nora is a the perfect age for picking up something in one place and leaving it at another. I find many shoes, the remote, the phone, and other "treats" in random drawers, outside, and yes... even the toilet! Sometimes I wonder, "why do I do this ALL day?" "Perhaps I should just leave it all until the kids are in bed and do it ONCE!" Just to make myself feel a little better about why I do it, I documented with pictures. Here is a quick example of the constant little messes the kids leave for me all day.



Now, this is what it would look like if I didn't do this ALL DAY!

This is the playroom. This is the room I allow myself to throw something into and shut the door!! It does get a thorough pick up once a week. We really don't have that many toys and it still looks like a disaster! I actually get heart palpitations just looking at it. So, I now know why I spend my days running in circles. I am not a clean freak, but I am a bit of a clutter freak. Do any of you have this same disorder? Any tips and tricks to make this more manageable? I would love your thoughts!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Your thoughts have been mine exactly! Infact, I jumped right up after reading your email and took some photos of my house right now-I'll be posting about it. Every day I just want to wish the clutter away, but then if I did that...I would be wishing away my small kids too. We've all heard parents say that they grow up too fast. I guess the challenge is to enjoy this time, because it won't be this way forever (unless Paul is also a major culprit-LOL!)

Marcie said...

Oh, boy do I relate. Which is why it is so difficult to get to the time intensive stuff (bathrooms, closets, windows) because we could spend all day picking up and never get anything cleaned. My sister-in-law co-owns an organizational company, and they suggest carrying an empty laundry basket through the house once or twice a day and then picking up and dropping off objects in the rooms they belong.
I loved that you documented it!

Karen said...

Oh great, I don't even have kids yet and I'm still picking up after the guy I married! Instead of toys...its socks, icecream bowls, opened junk mail, towels, the toilet lid.......how did they do it on their own? Did they truly move out of their mother's care, or were they faking it? :) Your cousin, Karen