Monday, July 21, 2008

What is Real?

I read this (one of my favorites) to my kids the other night, and was struck by these words. They are so true of people. "Real" people are my favorite kind. I wish I could express myself like this. Enjoy....."What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?" "Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real." "Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit. "Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt." "Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?" "It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand." .....
- The Velveteen Rabbit

11 comments:

Amy said...

I laughed when my high school English teacher had us read an excerpt from The Velveteen Rabbit. Then I read it and was so affected by the words about being 'real.' I love this post, and I always appreciate how Real you are. :)

Wendi said...

Beautiful words indeed.

I alluded to "real" on my post today too, then read your post here. I was worried and didn't want to think I was referring to you (since that happened once before!)

Love you Kara dear!

Lisa Cannon said...

I absolutely love this book! Thanks for the reminder, I really need to read it to my kids. I can't believe we don't own it!

Wendi said...

Thanks for the nice words on my blog. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about SYTYCD!

Nichols Family said...

I love that book! I just got caught up on the last few posts of your blog, I had some good laughs!

Hollyween said...

I love all those lines...
And as I get older, they mean even more to be as I learn to appreciate and 'get' what being real really is.

Shawni said...

love that book! Sure miss you guys.

Marcie said...

The best thing about it is that kids like it best when their toys (and Mommies) are shabby and have their hair loved off.

Sarah and Kevin said...

I have always loved that quote! I heard it years ago and had forgotten about it! Thanks for the reminder!

Jen said...

What a great quote! It was so great to see you in SL and catch up a bit. Your kids are beautiful, just like their mom!

Ashley said...

I love this book too. I even bought a grown up book called The Velveteen Principles. Haven't had a chance to read it yet. But the name hooked me in to buying it because I love the message of The Velveteen Rabbit so much.

Real people are my favorite too. When explaining why I'm friends with someone, it usually starts with, "She's so real and down to earth..." Thank you for always being real.