So You Think You Can Dance?...quite possibly my favorite show EVER!! I've never really posted about it, but I have SO MUCH to say. I truly love this show from the bottom of my heart. So, now here I go with my break down of the judges/choreographers and the top ten.
First of all, you've got to LOVE Cat Deely!! She is adorable, comfortable, and stunning to look at. I think her legs are as long as my whole body...unbelievable! Really though, I think she does a great job and has a great ease with the judges and contestants...very few awkward moments.
JUDGES/Choreographers:
Nigel- I think he does a good job. Of course his role is to always give a "shout out" to the choreographers, give himself and the show a pat on the back, and basically promote So You Think You Can Dance. That part is obvious. I do however think he does a good job in general in critiquing the dancers. I just need to get over the Chiclets in his mouth he calls teeth!
Mary-
This one is a VERY FINE LINE! Yes, she can be annoying, but you just have to love her. I could do with a lot less of the screaming, but I love that she really shows emotion. She laughs, screams, and cries. The thing I love about her is you can tell she is genuine! I mean, it would be easy for her, in a show like this, to try to dress a little more "hip" and/or modern, but she sticks with the 80's sparkly, puffy sleeved, sweetheart neck, beauty queen look that fits her so well. I love the contrast of Mary and Mia when they are on the panel together...classic.
That brings me to Mia-
I really do love Mia as a judge/choreographer. I'm not so sure I'd like her as a person. She has something going on in that brain that I'd love to get a glimpse of. Her pieces really move me. As a judge I think she is direct/harsh, to the point, and mostly dead on. I'm a bit more of a softie, so her criticisms sometimes sting, but that doesn't mean they are wrong.
Dan-
I really like it when Dan Karaty is a judge. He doesn't get too emotional, but I think he is very objective and constructive.
Lil' C-
I was really excited last week to see Lil' C as a judge. It is always great to see a new perspective especially from someone who is into a form of dance that I know nothing about (Krump).
He TOTALLY ROCKED IT!! I was seriously impressed with all of his insights, tips, and obvious love of dance. I'd LOVE to see him as a judge again.
Choreographers:
I LOVE Mia, Mandy Moore, Tabitha & Napoleon, and Jean Marc Generaux. I do miss Wade Robson...what's his deal? Maybe next season.
DANCERS:
I started this post when there was still a top ten so I will just comment on all of them...because I know you care so much...he he.
Katee might just be my favorite!! Ooh, that's so hard to say right now, but I do just love her...pretty much everything about her. It actually surprises me because as the beginning I didn't think I would. I love how understated she is in everything. She doesn't demand attention, but deserves it. She is a beautiful dancer and has been COMPLETELY versatile. Go Katee!
I LOVED Kherington...until she got a little defensive. I don't like it when people can't take criticism gracefully. That said, I still think she deserved another week. I think she is absolutely adorable and a great dancer.
I like Mark. He is quirky, and different, but I like him. Again, that doesn't mean he's the best dancer. In my humble opinion I think his time should have ended last week. I'm happy for how well he has been doing. I think Chelsea really brought him up in the competition.
How can you not LOVE Twitch?! That smile is just the best. I'm a sucker for a guy with a big smile. He just seems so nice, real, and easy to be around. He is a great dancer, but I think the competition is getting a little stiff for him. I'd love to see him stick around another week or two, but I don't think he's top three material...dance wise.
What can be said about Will? U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E!!! He has so much talent, control, and strength, and masculinity it's SICK! He could use a little more personality, but he seems like such a good guy. I think he is definite top 3 material.
WOW! I love Chelsea. She is so versatile. She dances with a lot of energy and passion. I love that she has a curvy body and really performs. She too doesn't have the most dynamic personality, but she is not arrogant and showy. She's one of my top three pics too.
Oh Comfort. I really wanted to like you...I did! I was so impressed the first week at not only your ability to cross over, but your smokin' bod! From then on though, I've thought your days were numbered. I'll admit I was disappointed that you coming back ended in Kherington getting booted off. Oh, and ENOUGH of that IV Real thing...seriously. (more on that later)
Courtney is as cute as can be. I refer to her as the 5th Anderson girl. One of my good friends from High School is the oldest of 4 gorgeous girls, and Courtney could fit right in. Anyway, I really like her and her performance ability. I don't think she is the best technical dancer, but I will be sad when she goes anyway...because she will go. I'm not calling top 5 with her.
Where oh where has my little Gev gone?! I seriously LOVED him. There was this little puppy dog quality about him. He really put himself out there. Boy howdy can this guy tear it up?! I think he is the best hip hopper the show had this season. His moves were crazy, and so entertaining to watch. I honestly think that if this show was just solo's then Gev could easily make it to the top three. I will miss him, but am SO HAPPY that he made the top 10. I may just see the traveling show because of him.
Joshua. I have been blown away at this hip hoppers versatility. I could seriously watch the Samba he did with Katee a million times!! I love how smiley he is. He has this tough, football player look, but is just a big teddy bear. I'm hoping he will last a couple more weeks, but I'm not sure about going all the way.
Now on to my three complaints about the show. YES! Can you believe it? I do have criticisms.
#1 Do they force the contestants to do the cheesy hand signals indicating the number to dial after their dances? If not, then I'm shocked that people haven't begged and pleaded for them to STOP!! I really do hate it and have to fast forward on my DVR every time. I get embarrassed for them. I'd be so much more likely to vote if they just stood there and smiled.
CONFESSION: I don't vote! AHHHH. I know it's crazy, but I'm usually watching the show well after it aired, and I don't tend to vote anyway. I'm ready for the backlash.
#2 Would Comfort, Will, Twitch, Joshua...oh and Nigel PLEASE STOP with the IV REAL thing?! It's not cool when it's overused like that. I mean, it's great to have a little inside thing going, but now it just looks dumb when you keep putting your elbow up, hand on your shoulder, and start nodding your head like your the man or something?! Anyone else feel me on this? (do you like my constant reverting to gangster talk on this post...yes I realize I'm doing it...humor me)
#3 I am going to go all "Fuddy Duddy" on you now. I really was disappointed by the guest performer on the result show a couple of weeks ago Katy Perry. She sang her now #1 downloaded hit "I kissed a Girl." I was shocked and honestly angry. The title itself is a little provocative, but it was the content of the song, and how she sang it that really bothered me. I know I may get a little crap for this opinion, but like I've said before...It's my blog and it's what I think.
The demographic of that show is OBVIOUSLY tweens/teens, and college age kids (oh and 30 something stay at home moms!) Just look at the pan of the audience at every show. The only older people there are the parents/family of the contestants and the choreographers. I seriously am considering writing the show to let them know how I feel. The singer has every right to write and sing any song she wishes, but the producers of SYTYCD don't have to promote it on their show. I'll have to think some more about this one.
So there you have it! Much more info. than you wanted. It is going to be a great countdown to the winner. I'm just wishing they would put all the dances on a DVD so I could buy it. It would get worn out from wear. What do you think? BE NICE!
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
SYTYCD
Posted by kara jayne at 9:32 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









29 comments:
Oh, I feel ya girl! (Snap)I could NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE! WOW! That was my assessment to a T! BUT I TOTALLY miss Shane Sparks as a choreographer too. And, I think I could do without Tabitha and Napoleon. They kind of drive me nuts to be honest. I totally wanted to keep Gev instead of Mark, and I was happy to see Kerrington go. To be honest, her dances DID stink that week. She didn't even seem to try. It was like, well, I don't like my partner, and it is his fault so, I am going to be apathetic and it showed. I think I am about the only other person on the PLANET that would have just as much to say about the show as you do.. and that is why I am sooooooooooo happy you can come on Thursday night! :) (I posted super long comments on Paige and Celia's page about this too! I even posted that I hated that song too! So funny that you wrote all of the exact same things!)
Wow! That is so funny...I couldn't agree more with all that was said! I love this show and have to force Ryan to watch the highlights with me. It would be so fun to watch it with someone like you who is into it as much as I am.
I love this show, and I completely agree with everything you wrote. Confession: I don't vote either! I'd feel like a teenager if I did, and I really cannot stand their flashing hand movements and goofy faces either. My absolute favorite is Katee...I hope she goes all the way! (p.s. It cracks me up that you commented on Mary's fashion. I have never noticed it, so I'll be watching from now on! :)
It was great seeing you at the 4th of July parade. I have to say that I could not have written your post about So, You Think You Can Dance any better. I love the show and I agree with everything you wrote. I also love the guest performers and the dance by the Alvin Ailey group was AMAZING! I watched it over and over. Thanks so much for the post!
I too agree with everything you wrote... Felt like I was reading my own mind. And I think it is a super idea to write in about your disappointment with the Katy Perry performance. I was highly offended and am going to start writing- thanks for the idea.
Hee hee--I don't vote either. Hello--like my vote would even make a difference.
I kissed a girl???? What were they thinking?
I didn't think I was going to like Katee after that episode where they picked the top 20, but she's totally my favorite after last week. Unbelievable.
Wish we could watch together! It would be so fun!
Come over!
Kara! So good to hear from you. How are you? This post cracks me up- you and my sister-in-law need to be friends. She is ob-sessed with this show and probably shares in all your opinions. Seriously, if you don't mind I will refer her to your blog- she has got to see this. :)
i LOVE that show too. one of my faves. i was totally mad about that song too and i fast forwarded through it. i was so sad because if those weren't the words i would have totally loved the song. i could only think of all of the young kids that were watching and i felt like if i didn't watch it i could make it go away for all of their young ears...so so disappointed.
LOVE your comments and the show. Can't get enough of it and I too have a million opinions. I love Joshua but can't stand the ugly. Cat's nose is WAAAAY too crooked. Will's a great dancer but I hate how they favor him. And he's just too too gay. Mary murphy needs a stylist so bad I can't handle her clothes or hair or make-up or voice.
Hey KJ- IV Real.
The song was unacceptable. I totally agree. I'm writing in.
That's my 2nd favorite show (Office is still my #1). I soooo love that new choreographer, the girl with all of the tatoos and mohawk. Her work is excellent. I love Mark and Will and okay, Katie too (even though I didn't like her at first).
I agree with everything except the Lil C stuff. I really thought he was just spouting words out of his brain...none of it made sense.
HATED HATED HATED that song. I just sat their dumbfounded, disgusted and seriously afraid for the crazy-everything-is-fine world my kids have to grow up in.
At social gatherings I flit around trying to find someone who also loves SYTYCD! Nice to hear your thoughts. When I hear Mia's comments I feel like she lives in a totally different world than me. SO cool to experience people like that. I missed tonight's episode and I don't have DVR, any ideas on how I can watch it? YouTube just has a few specific dances here and there. I need the WHOLE thing!! Hope the show never ends!
I like your review. 40 somethings like it too.
I'll admit it, you got me hooked. I put it on my scheduled recordings when we got back from AZ. Lets hope I find time to watch them!
Ok, I'm Laura's sister-in-law, the obsessed SYTYCD girl. Actually I'm not this year as much as I was the year of Benji, or even last summer. But I think you nailed it right on. I love your description of both Mary & Mia. Love Mary's outdated clothes and I am a little frightened of Mia, but think she is brilliant. I have to say the immediate hook for me was Cat D. I secretly want to be her. So I am glad you gave her props! I could go on and on, but since you don't know me, just wanted to thank you for the post, I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Kara,
John and I watch this faithfully each week and we love it! We are always critiquing the dancers, dances, etc... I agreed with everything you said honestly. We usually record the show and watch it later and we usually end up fast forwarding through the guest performances. We couldn't believe Katy Perry - it was awful. We think Katee, Will and Chels deservet he top 3. However, I just love Joshua and Twitch. We are so tired of Komfort and hope she leaves tonight. I love that you are so into it as well. It's those years of ballet, jazz, tap, and drill huh?
Love you - Ash
Ditto is about all I have to say. I have to admit that this is my favorite show (at the moment, when Numbers is back on in the fall it becomes my favorite so it works out well that SYTYCD comes on in the summer break).
Anyway, I totally LOVE this show. I agree with all your analysis & complaints (especially that song! I went to make sure Bryce was asleep hoping he hadn't heard the nasty lyrics). I only have one more complaint. It seems to me when comparing this season to a few seasons ago (Benji era) that the costumes have been losing fabric! Now I am showing my prudish side I suppose, but even Nigel commented on it one night, so someone else must think the same thing.
I've been enjoying this show this season too. I could do without all the talking, just show me the dancing. I like to record it so I can forward through all the extra drama. My absolute favorite is Twitch. Did you see his solo last night. That was so entertaining. We kept rewinding it. I hate that he has been in the bottom two. I'll have to start voting next week.
my byu roommate, joy, went to a dance concert of the former dancers (the season when the mormon guy won) and LOVED it! You should try to go. I have to laugh when I watch the show because it makes me feel like i could dance like that. then you get up and can't at all do what this old body used to do and I have a major reality check!
So well said girl! OK-so were you so completely shocked about Will last night? What is up with that? He truly is such an amazing dancer.
FYI-My niece dances with Chelsea in Orem.
Oh-and I kissed a girl...I agree that it was aweful-and it has such a catchy tune, that I found it replaying in my head the entire next day. LAME!
Nichole and I watch every episode as well. You characterized all the players almost exactly as we have discussed them...funny to see how many others have commmented the same. Either we are all REALLY insightful, or the producers/directors are selling us the same bill of goods!
I personally thought that "I kissed a girl" song was stupid/amateurish before the show. She is a LOUSY live performer to boot. That show did her no favors, and vice versa.
I loved this post, because I am addicted to SYTYCD too!! I have it on auto record, and watch it commercial free when Chasie goes to bed!!! I feel the same way about the hand on the shoulder inside joke thing. Its getting really annoying!! And my take on Mary?!?!?! To put it nicely..the show would be MUCH more enjoyable without her!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Will is gone. He was one of my very favorite...I actually thought he might take the whole thing.
ummmmm.....sorry....but I have to push MUTE when MARY talks....I just can't take it!!!!!
I LOVE this show also. I get so excited for Wednesday and Thursdays.
Jen Chandler
(Sarah Stohls friend and Jasons wife in Iowa OMFS program)
Love to read your blog.
Good luck with the twirly skirts they are sooooo fun!
Fun post. I love it...I like to hear all the different opinions out there. I pretty much agree with you on all of it as well. My husband and I can't STAND it when they flash their stupid numbers when they tell about voting too...so annoying and I'm embarrased for them too.
Anyways, it's a fabulous show. Love it!!!!!!!!
I missed the song-- I DVR it and fast forward through all the "fluff". I would have been FURIOUS! I heard that song on the radio for the first time and about DIED!! Can you just imagine a little 10 year old singing those words??
This world can be such a mess...
lol! My neighbor just told me the other day that she thinks I look like Courtney. I haven't watched the show this season, so I was watching for her pic on your blog and laughed at your comment!
I haven't seen her but she looks like a babe, so I will definitely take the compliment! :)
Post a Comment