Saturday, July 26, 2008

Lucky number 13!!

13 really always has been my favorite number. Maybe it's the part of me that always likes to play "devil's advocate." It makes conversations so much more fun...but also gets me in trouble. Why do I do that? Anyway, why is today my LUCKY DAY? Because 13 years ago today I married HIM!!
Paul is the best. Of course, anyone who has been married longer than a minute knows that you have your ups and downs, but we are definitely on an up and up! I guess it's like the stock market. There's some dips, but the general pattern is increasing! Here are some random thoughts about why 13 years ago I made the best decision of my life.

Paul sends me the funniest text messages in the middle of the day. Just a couple of weeks ago I got a text from him that said, "your the bomb yo!" {huh?} It just made me laugh and smile. Oh, and yesterday he sent one that said, "I can't wait to get the matching tattoo's tonight." (we went out last night to celebrate the anniversary)

Paul is always happy and excited for me when I get something new that I need. He was just as excited about my new road bike as I was. Actually, even more excited I think...I'm a little scared. I can't wait to ride more with him.

He is ALWAYS concerned about my safety. He has been trying to buy me a new car for a couple of years because he wants us to have the safest car. He may get his way next year. I don't think he'll talk me into the SUV though. I'm still too sold on the minivan for my stage.

Paul is such a great Dad. The kids love him so much and can't get enough of him. These pictures really depict his relationship with each child.
He and Ella have such a good relationship. She can really open up to him and he listens better than I do. I'm so glad she has him.
Yes, this is pretty much how it is with the boys in our house. They have a lot of fun together.
This picture of Paul and Nora is over two years old, but it still represents their relationship. He loves to give her hugs and kisses, and she is willing to oblige.

It's been a great 13 years so far. I can't wait to see what the next 13 hold!

25 comments:

Shy Little Violets said...

OOO, comment number 1. I thought i'd never see this day :) You sound like you have an amazing relationship. 13 years is huge. Congratulations guys!

Marcie said...

Jim and I met on a Friday the 13th....so we think it's a pretty lucky number also.

Happy Anniversary, can't wait to see the matching tatoos :)

Unknown said...

One of the best and most telling qualities of a good man is if he always makes sure his wife gets the "good car" and the newest and the safest. My hubby has been driving my college car for years and he still insists that I get a new one every few years as well. I love that!

When you do get the new minivan - be sure to get the stow n go - it is a miracle and lifesaver!!

happy 13!

Amy said...

Happy Anniversary! 13 years is such a huge accomplishment! Congrats again and again! You two really seem so perfect for each other. :)

Nichols Family said...

Wow, 13 already? Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! By the way, you look WAY more like Jessica Alba than I do, for sure! In fact, you look a lot like her.

Jamie said...

happy anniversary! wow, 13!! love the pictures. and how is it that you have not changed in 13 years??

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was sweet. Somehow I think he is just as lucky.

JDM said...

You are such a great couple.
Does it feel like time is flying? I remember your reception at Red Butte. AMAZING. The feeling and atmosphere was so lush that it is still fresh in my mind. What a day to remember.

Sarah said...

what a sweet tribute. can't believe you have been married 13 years. look at what you have accomplished together- totally awesome.

so fun you get to get into road biking. I can't wait until the day I can buy a new bike and have a schedule that will allow me to go. (maybe I should say husbands schedule)

I need to call you and get the number of your friend that moved out here. i would love to call her and get together. ashli S. gave me your number so I'll be calling you this week.

Jen said...

Happy 13th! We just celebrated 12. Where does the time go? I swear it was just last week that I would pick you up and we would walk to Upland Terrace together!Thanks for the Nora link - it's so amazing how kids survive us and their siblings!

The Jarvis Family said...

Congrats Kara (& Paul). We sure look up to you guys and love your cute family.

Ashley said...

Happy Anniversary!! You guys do make a great couple. I love the funny texting back and forth. Way to keep it fun. You are both very lucky!

Sally said...

Loved all of the photos...and love you and Paul. I'm sure the best years are yet to come! Congrats

Sarah and Kevin said...

Kara- That picture of you and paul reminds me of the franklin covey days! That picture or one likeit was in your cubicle at work! That was so long ago, but seems like yesterday! I love you blog!- Sarah M

April said...

Kara-
Congratulations on 13 years! That's great!! Looks like everything is great for you guys!
I don't know if you remember me. My name is April (Hicks) from the 12th ward in East Millcreek. Melinda is my cousin, too, on her mom's side. Anyway, my little girl is turning 8 in Sept., and I stumbled upon your cute blog where you mentioned that dress you got for your daughter. I went to that web site, but the largest size they had was 6, so either your daughter is a petite little thing or they had a larger size when you purchased the dress. Could you let me know what you did? Thanks!
-April Pratt (Hicks)

April said...

Nevermind!! I found the teeny tiny phone # up in the corner of the web site and they do have bigger sizes in that adorable dress!! Thanks anyway!
-April

Ellie McFreaken said...

Funny that April just mentioned the Baptism dress because ours just came in the mail a few days ago. Tell your Ella that she is going to be quite the trendsetter!
I also have to laugh because the little picture that is on your profile you are wearing the exact same shirt that I have with a shirt underneath like I do...just too funny!
Congrats on 13 years....You have a lot to look at on this blog and see why you have such a great life and marriage. You are a great example to many of us!

on the rivet with J~D Liddell said...

Happy 13th! Happy for you and your cute family! Congrats also on your ROAD BIKE! Wish we lived closer so we could ride together. Let's meet for a century or tri. Look out, you're going to be addicted!

Flake Family said...

Kara
Congratulations! You guys are a beautiful couple, and Paul looks like a cute dad. I love nothing more than a really good picture of Judd with my kids. The BEST!! Happy Annivarsay.

Brian said...

Hey - no copy cats on the "matching tattoo" idea. I know you're jealous!

heather said...

You look the the exact same as I remember you in High School. Is your husband any relation to Jen Kelly? That pic of him holding the baby is priceless!

Lane said...

Aw, Congrats Kara and Paul! I can't believe it's been 13 years. I remember when you were my freshman roomate and went on one date with Paul, came back to our dorm and said, "I'm going to marry him."

You were right and you still are right--great decision!!

Love you two.

Kirkland's said...

You two make such a terrific couple and have a beautiful family! Congrats on the 13 years of up and up!

Lisa Erskine said...

Wow! Has it really been 13 years? Congratulations! You do have a great guy...and he has a great girl! Hope the next 13 are just as good! :)

Laura said...

Kara- thanks for the ideas about the baptism dresses.
What fun pictures of your wedding day! You two are a good looking couple!