Okay, so I'm usually really practical, so my first reaction to this question was, "nothing"! I am pretty easy to please and consider myself tough, so if I took this question at face value that would have to be my answer...nothing! Well, of course that would be boring, so I had to realize that this was just a fancy way of asking what are some things that you use/need every day and would be a huge sacrifice to do without. So, here it goes...
Internet!!! I think this is because I use it for so many things that would be on this list otherwise. I use it to communicate, schedule, organize, get information, shop, document, etc. ! I use the Internet 50 times a day doing so many different things that I don't think I would be nearly as efficient without it.
Running! This is my exercise, therapy, "me time", and sanity keeper. I really think I would struggle if I could no longer run.
I had an AWESOME time running the marathon on Saturday, and will probably do it again. I know I swore off doing the St. George Marathon again because of the time of year and how hard it is to train for in the Arizona Heat, but I had such a great time that I may have to do it again. The weather was ideal for the race and even though I didn't do as well as I'd have liked, it was better that my time 10 years and 4 kids ago! I finished in 4 hours and 10 min.
It was so fun to run it with Paul (hubby) and my brother Dave. I'm so lucky to have them in my life. My awesome sister Heather drove down just to cheer us on, and it was so fun to see her. She is always so supportive and excited for others. No wonder she is one of my very best friends. She took these pictures of us, and was just as excited as we were when we finished the race. It was fun to have my Dad there too. I've always felt his love and support in any goal we wanted to accomplish. He was so proud of us and I think there was more than one time I saw him get emotional. I get the "cry easily" gene from both sides, so there was no hope for me. I feel so blessed!! I have so much love an support in my life. It was also a lot of fun to see Paul's sister and one of my best friends Jenny at the marathon. She had trained and run with a group of her friends from Texas where she lives. She did awesome and it was so fun to have the two brothers and sisters there together! I just love Jenny and wish I could see her more often. Okay, I know that was a little off the subject, but I really wanted to document the race. The knees are a little sore, but not bad. I'm just lucky to be here in Hawaii recuperating. Great timing for the National Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery conference!! Thank goodness for good babysitters and Paul's Mom and SIL Quinn for keeping the kiddos safe and happy!
Reading! This is another "me time" activity, and it makes me feel like my brain is stretching a bit. I love how reading makes me think of things, people, situations that I may have never thought of before. It gives me an appreciation for the life I live, and for all the opportunities and people that have come into my life. I feel like it really opens me up to different people, cultures, and circumstances too. I feel more compassionate of people and love to learn more. I think it has also made me less judgmental. 
I just finished this book The Glass Castle. It was a really great read and made me think a lot. That's all I really require in a book is that it makes me think. I recommend it to anyone! Now I'm starting The Girl With the Pearl Earring. I'll let you know what I think!
Hugging and kissing my kids and husband! I am such a hugger!! There has got to be some physical chemical release that comes with hugging, because it just makes me feel SO MUCH BETTER!! I need a lot of hugs and LOVE to give them away. I am really missing giving those hugs to my kids right now because I haven't seen them since Friday. There is nothing like hugging/cuddling with the kiddos in the twilight of night. XOXOXOXOXO!!! Lucky for me I am getting lots of great time with my fabulous husband.
Well, I could go on and on, but those are just a few things in my life that keep me going. For now, I'm really enjoying the recharge I'm getting on this vacation. I'll post about that when I get home. Of course we forgot our camera, so we had to buy a cheap disposable. I guess it will force me to actually get them developed. We have 7 years of undeveloped pics on our computer thanks to digital cameras. Thanks to Heather for the Marathon pics! Have a great Tuesday!!!









19 comments:
I started The Glass Castle but didn't finish for some reason. I did just finish The Other Boleyn Girl, and let me tell you..I LOVED it. You should definitely read it!
Wow. You are amazing for finishing that marathon. I love to run, but I'm a wimp! You're inspiring.
Have fun in Hawaii!
Kara, you have to check out my friend Chloe's blog. She ran the St. George Marathon, too! She did an awesome documentation of it that I just loved and you probably would too. Great time, by the way! Enjoy Hawaii!
Yay for you! You're awesome! I'm so proud to have a marathon friend!
I think it is incredible that you and Paul did the marathon together. What a great thing!
So glad you can blog in Hawaii. Enjoy the rest of your time in paradise!
Hurray for you! Congrats on the marathon--watching you and paul prepare for it and then do it has made me ALMOST want to do one myself--we'll see! I'm jealous that you are now relaxing in Hawaii, sounds like fun! Please tell Paul that my face has gone down considerably. The stitches aren't even that sore, but the corner of my mouth is the sorest (just a brittle scab--nothing big)! Have fun! Your kids seem to be having lots of fun with Paul's mom and Quinn (Jack even went so far as to say he hasn't missed you at all yet--but I didn't probe any farther because I didn't want him to think about it too much because then he might realize just how much he is missing you and paul and that might not be good!)
Soak up some sun for me!
I have been so excited to hear how your marathon went. How fun to do it with Paul and Dave! There is nothing like the adrenaline from doing a marathon! Wait, I need to clarify that...There is nothing like the adrenaline from "walking" a marathon. I am yet to run one, but have done some with my Dad who is turning 80 in Dec. I can't think of a better way to recover than sitting on the beach with your husband in Hawaii! Vacations alone always help us realize what fun we are going to have when we are empty nesters!(Not that we are anywhere close to that!) Enjoy!
Congratulations on achieving such a lofty goal. I've enjoyed reading about your preparations. I had no idea how much thought it took to prepare for a marathon. I just thought people practiced running and that was it!
Yea, Kara!! Congrats on the marathon!! And have a GREAT time in Hawaii!!
Congrats, Kara! I'm so glad all went well. Natalie was telling me all about it. She said you were walking around like any normal day after it was over. Seriously, I'm in awe that you can do that. I'm sore after a mile or two if I can get there.
I loved the Glass Castle and Girl with a Pearl Earring...interesting stuff.
Congrats Kara! You are definitely an inspiration for all of us.... My family was down in St. George over the weekend and I thought of you running on Sat. Maybe after this baby comes I will like running, although I don't know what would make me now, I have hated it my whole life, darnnit!
Anyways, Way to GO! Have fun in Hawaii...
Way to go on the marathon Kara! That really is such a great accomplishment. And what a fun thing for you and Paul to do and achieve together. You are incredible. I am so jealous you're in Hawaii! Have a fabulous time!!!
PS- I really liked Girl with a Pearl Earring. There's also a movie with Scarlet Johanson that you should see after you've read it.
Congrats! And you were acting like you'd be all last, and you had a great time!
And I'm with you on the Internet, exercise, husband contact and Reading things (both those book are great!), but you failed to include chocolate--so now we all know why you are 3 sizes smaller than me.
Congratulations Kara! I was excited to read your post and hear all about it! Thanks for posting while you are in Hawaii and not making us all wait until you got back. I hope your having fun, something tells me that won't be much of a problem. Have a safe flight home. Oh, we took the two bachelors Colin and Steve out to dinner on Wed. and they both looked like they were doing fine:) I'm sure Mary and Quinn are enjoying spending time with your cute kids.
I thought of you that day and was excited for you! Congrats and thats way cool that Heather and your Dad could go out there and see you run it. And what a way to recover...the islands :) Are you guys going to stay in AZ for Thanksgiving?? We are coming to AZ and would love to see you sometime...maybe we can get the kids together to play while we hang out...and eat somewhere that I have been craving :)
Congrats!!!! Saw Dave twice this week at the office (for Luke)and he told me he ran with you guys. Exciting to run with your family and see everyone supporting you all. Have fun in Hawaii!
Woo Hoo! I found you again!
After all of the blog changes I had lost you completely. Now I am back.
I also love to read. I may pick up that book you recommended!
Congrats on the marathon! Your family looks so great. Fun to see your dad and Dave.
Let us know how Hawaii is. I'm jealous!
I don't even know if you'll get this since it's a post from years ago - but I had to come back and read about your marathon. I've always been a runner, but I've finally decided to kick it up a notch. I have at least one half marathon scheduled this year with some close friends who I run with about 4 days a week, and I entered my name in the NYC marathon lottery...kind of praying I won't get in. haha...but at the same time, if I do, I know it will be the experience of a lifetime. I'm already having dreams about running it - kind of terrified! You're an inspiration!
Post a Comment