Friday, October 26, 2007

Really good day

So, Wednesday turned out to be a really good day. It didn't start out that way.

Some of you may or may not know, but I have been at an all time LOW lately. I don't want to be a downer, but I have really been struggling personally for a while now, and the last month or so have been particularly hard. You know, all the typical things that I know everyone goes through (I'm a horrible mom, my home is a disaster, I'm not doing enough spiritually, I have no friends (locally), I'm not great at anything, my filing is out of control, WOE IS ME!)
That said, PLEASE NO COMMENTS ON HOW GREAT I AM!! That's really not my purpose for writing this. I'm sure everyone has these feelings in their life at one time or another, but that doesn't always make it easier to go through! ANYWAY, I have been trying to really SIMPLIFY (my word for the year) and focus on what is really important.

Now, back to why Wednesday started bad and ended GREAT!
So, one of my many errands in the morning was to head to Target. I had a long list of things I needed and Nora was NOT cooperating. I thought I had hit an all time low when I bought her a stinkin' Dora phone just to keep her happy. I NEVER DO THAT! I am a bit of an anti-toy buyer unless it is for birthday or Christmas. I am usually really good at saying "NO" (almost too good sometimes) and am fine with leaving a store if my child continues to whine/cry. Well, I was NOT going to leave without getting my list done that day and I broke down.

On my way to the next stop I called my fabulous SIL Sue to ask her a quick question. It turned into a great conversation and left me feeling SO MUCH BETTER about life. I'm not sure exactly why, but she just has a way of putting things into perspective. I truly love her so much and feel so lucky to have her as a friend and sister. She really put my day on a better track.

I then got a call from a great new friend Lena who wanted to meet at Costa Vida with the kids after we picked up the morning Kindergartners from school. I thought that sounded great, so off I went. Can I just say how much I LOVE Lena? She is SO my style of friend. Everything is casual and easy with her. She is not uptight and understands my crazy kids. I had to laugh because she is right there with me on being a non-germ-o-phobe. NO, we are not dirty disgusting people, we just don't feel the compulsion to Purel our kids hands with every public surface they touch (not that there's anything wrong with that if you do). Anyway, she is inspiring and makes me always want to be better.

Next thing that happened was that I got a surprise phone call from one of my other favorite people Sally!! I was happy to just talk to her on the phone, but then she told me that she was in town and wanted to come see me! OH HAPPY DAY! I'm not kidding I was grinning ear to ear. She and Liv (her adorable 3 yr old) came over and we just chatted for a few hours while (thankfully) my youngest two slept. She even came bearing gifts. She brought me some of her Trader Joe's favorites. HOW THOUGHTFUL? She was only in town for a couple of days, so it was short and sweet, but It did wonders for my attitude.
So, the point of the story is that I think the Lord really has been hearing my prayers and sent me some reinforcements. I realized how blessed I am to have such great people in my life. Lucky for you, all three of these wonderful people have blogs you can check if you just click on their names on my sidebar! I need to stop my pity party (although easier said than done) and get on with enjoying life. I am convinced though, that taking inventory of my little family and prioritizing whats right for US is the key. SIMPLIFY, SIMPLIFY, SIMPLIFY!!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand the slump that you are in---I get that way too and I don't like it. On a brighter note however, you must add to your list of "things that I can do great" is to do a fantastic tv interview and look cute while doing it! I saw the clip posted on Mary's blog---so fun to see you and Jenny! I'm so happy for you that you were able to see Sally. I think I would crawl out of my skin with joy if one of my dear friends from out of state called to come over.

Erika said...

I know you said not to but I can't help it! You are just so great. I definitely know how you're feeling--how many times have I been there too?! Just know you have a big "local" fan ;-)

Celia Fae said...

Thanks for the excellent honesty. I know where you are coming from.

Nichols Family said...

Kara, I understand your kids, because I can relate! But I won't obey your request not to tell you what a great mom you are and that everyone LOVES you! You seriously are somebody I wish I could be like and around. You are super fun and easy to talk to and to hang out with. So having said that....even though I live farther away from you, you're a great cousin and I'll meet you at Costa Vida anytime with our crazy kids and it will be worth it. Love you-Jennie.

oda41143 Missy said...

Hello, my name is Missy and I'm a friend of Crystal. I snooped over to your page from her blog and I hope you don't mind. I needed to tag 7 people and I didn't have that many blogger buddies. So, I'm tagging you! You have to share 7 random facts.

Rules:
Link to the person who tagged you; Share 7 random facts about yourself; Tag 7 other blogg friends & leave a comment on their blogg with the rules.

Have fun!

Jessica said...

I get you because:

1)I totally have had that slump-thing.
2)I totally think it happens when I overload.
3)I always feel better when I talk to friends.
4)I also only buy toys on Christmas and B-day, but congratulate you on giving in when in was necessary for YOU.
5)Am not a germaphobe (let's hang out!)
6)Know Heavenly Father answers prayers.

Just so you know...you are normal and understood!

Shawni said...

Oh Kara, I too love your honesty. Although I have to also agree with the others that you are amazing whether you want to admit it or not. I'm so thankful for your example, and I think we need to meet up with Jennie at Costa Vida (I never get to see her). I can totally relate to being in a slump. Is it the time of year or what? I thought my trip would snap me out of it but seriously, that sand is just slipping through my fingers like a sieve! Anyway, talk to you soon. Love, Shawni

MaryClaire Brown said...

i totally hear you on feeling inadequate in every way and just feeling down on yourself overall. thankfully, i'm not feeling that way right now, but during a large part of my pregnancy with natalie, that is exactly how i was feeling. there were a lot of tears and a desire to stay in bed all day. my poor husband. but, what i want to tell you is that yes, it's totally normal to go through times like that, it really is amazing what talks and visits with friends and family can do for you during those times, and THIS TOO SHALL PASS. there have been several times lately where i'll think back on how i was feeling at that time, and i am so grateful for the happiness, etc., i feel now. if we don't go through hard times, we really don't appreciate the good times. i don't think i've ever just appreciated being happy more than lately because of how i was feeling such a short time ago. turn to the lord, and when you feel like you just want to give up, go do something that makes you smile like hug one of your adorable kids and decide that you're not going to let those negative thoughts take over. read the last half of elder hollands talk from april 2007 conference. love you more than you know, and you really are great and a huge example to me.

Arba said...

Hey there - Glad to hear your day turned out good. You have great friends, nothing like a chat with friends who really understand you to make you feel better. Thanks for sharing.

Sally said...

Kara- it was SO great to see you but really made me wish that we lived closer to you and Paul. The couple of times a year is just not enough.

I am laughing about the phone for Nora- its ok. We all go through these slumps.

I also love your word for the year. I keep trying to decide on one for myself becuase I think it is a great idea.

Hang in there!

Unknown said...

All I can say it is amazing how life can humble you. My A-HA moment came when I realized I was using TV as a babysitter and before I had kids I swore UP AND DOWN that I would never ever do that. Go figure.

And to be honest, your post sounds like me. We are pretty alike in our thinking. Oh here is a funny quick story. Last year, I went out with one of my friends and her kids with my Blake and when we all got back in the car, she started squirting her kids' hands with Purell including Blake and he just sat there looking at me with this blank expression like, "What am I going to do with this?" I've never been a germ-a-phobe. I figure, God gave you white blood cells for a reason.
I always enjoy your updates!

Lane said...

i have a theory that human biology has not caught up with technology, thus leaving us psychologically and emotionally unprepared for MOVING all the time and adapting. I only say this because I deal very poorly with life changes(like starting over in new places) and find it easier to blame evolution than myself :)

Wish I were there to hang out with you. Both of us might be happier. I would :)

Wendi said...

Hey beautiful girl.

Really? I guess it shows that you don't really get the whole story reading people's blog. You seem too cute and perfect and happy to go through the same slumps as the rest of us.

I feel like this so often too. Well, usually once a month, it's kind of predictable. =) I'm irrational and depressed, and even though I know it's chemically related, it feels so real.

I swear it's the October blahs. I always get like this in October.

Love the reminder to simplify. I absolutely cannot hear that enough.

Sue said...

I don't deserve you saying such nice things. If I can't tell you how great you are, and I could go on and on, then I just have to say...I just love you.

Ashley said...

You are always such an awesome example for me. I don't know if it's because our husbands are on the same paths and we deal with their crazy schedules and priorities or what, but it just seems like we have such similar feelings so often (although you are better at letting them out and dealing with them than I am!) I won't tell you how great you are, but just know that I think you are. And seeing Sue's post made me feel so lucky to have you guys as family! I saw this quote today and it stuck in my head, and so I just want to share..."Strongest are those who are weak at times." - Hope Newman