it's that time of year again. the time of year where i choose my word...like i did in 2006 and 2007 (but didn't document it). in 2008 and 2009 i wised up. i thought i had my word chosen all the way back in october. then the last few weeks a new word crept in. ultimately, in just the last two weeks one word has burst...and i mean burst onto the scene. i couldn't deny it. there were little things that happened everyday that let me know that my word for the year had to be:
contentment
i secretly hate it (not a secret now i guess) when people use japanese kanji symbols when they are neither japanese, speak the language, or have a strong tie to the culture. but...i feel i have the latter. my brother brad - whom i adore - is fluent in japanese, has lived there on and off for several years in the last 2 and a half decades, and taught me several kanji symbols when i was just a tween. i still remember horse and bird quite well. but i digress...
i secretly hate it (not a secret now i guess) when people use japanese kanji symbols when they are neither japanese, speak the language, or have a strong tie to the culture. but...i feel i have the latter. my brother brad - whom i adore - is fluent in japanese, has lived there on and off for several years in the last 2 and a half decades, and taught me several kanji symbols when i was just a tween. i still remember horse and bird quite well. but i digress...contentment is the experience of satisfaction and being at ease in one's situation.
a state of mind in which one's desires are confined to his lot whatever it may be (1 Tim. 6:6; 2 Cor. 9:8). It is opposed to envy (James 3:16), avarice (Heb. 13:5), ambition (Prov. 13:10), anxiety (Matt. 6:25, 34), and repining (1 Cor. 10:10). It arises from the inward disposition, and is the offspring of humility, and of an intelligent consideration of the rectitude and benignity of divine providence (Ps. 96:1, 2; 145), the greatness of the divine promises (2 Pet. 1:4), and our own unworthiness (Gen. 32:10); as well as from the view the gospel opens up to us of rest and peace hereafter (Rom. 5:2).
so, while i'd love to wax eloquent about all the various reasons why this word spoke to me...i'll be content to leave it at that.
so, while i'd love to wax eloquent about all the various reasons why this word spoke to me...i'll be content to leave it at that.









12 comments:
What a great idea! I love that word and all that it conjures. Happy new year! Thanks again to your awesome husband (and Max!) for coming to our rescue on Christmas :).
Such a great idea! Welcome back to the public world. I enjoy your blog :)
Whoa, I love all the new entries...did I not get them before on my google reader because your blog was private? I don't know but I loved them. I can't believe all the things in your Sunday Stew. You are one creative lady. Hope you're having a great holiday. You are still in Utah I think. It was fun to see Heather today for a little bit.
Love, Shawni
Great word!! I remember reading about the "one word" goal on Clover Lane a while back and loved the idea. Today I went on a hunt from clover lane to shawni's site to yours to find the origin of the "one word" goal.
My word for this year is "consistency" (it would be cool if I could find a japanese kanji for it!
PS I think it's great that you use Japanese characters =) I have a link to japan too...I love japanese food, my hubby served his mission in japan...oh! and I'm half japanese! hehehe!
Aww.. it is good to see your blog in my reader again. I am not sure if I had an invite to see the private blog, but I have to be honest, if my blog reader doesn't pick it up, I forget to check it. :) Good to see your *happy face* on here again! :)
Love your new word! I need one for the year but there is just too much pressure to be content with it. xoxo
Love your new word. We also choose words and I love that daily reminder. Because of the new dog my word will probably be along the lines of "patience" - I am definitely needing more of that! When will this dog learn to let me know it needs to go outside!!!
Anyways, love your new word. Hope your new year is wonderful!
Leslie
Oh, ya...this is why I love ya so much, Kara Jayne. You inspire me. I love the idea, the word, the definition, and hope to try to emulate it in my life too. Thanks for being you. I loved meeting you on Monday. It was a special treat for me. You were even more darling in person than you are on your blog, if that's possible!
Great new word! I think anyone with a laundry room like yours deserves to be content. (As I tried to do fifteen post-vacation loads in my postage-stamp sized washroom, I admit, I was coveting your beautiful space! Maybe I need to copy your new word...)
Kara,
I love that I don't have to call and ask Sally how to see your blog anymore. You're so dang cute and I love your word for the year. I am going to make that my goal word for the second half of the year. We adopted two little boys from Ethiopia and contentment is what I desire most, but I think it might take a little time. Maybe I could just be content with each day, and the fact that I am learning so much patience is a blessing. I wish we could have come and seen you again at the Fiesta Bowl. We'll hope for next year. Take care.
i love this idea. i might need to steal it. miss you!
Post a Comment