Saturday, November 8, 2008

A little down today...

(i actually wish it was raining)

It seems today is one of those days where I am having a hard time seeing the good...mostly in myself.
  • I talk way too much and often get myself into trouble.
  • I don't say things well and often get myself into trouble.
  • I feel upset with the state of our country and social issues (I don't recommend YouTube videos of angry protesters).
  • My house is a disaster despite being perfectly clean less than 24 hours ago.
  • I'm sure I will be getting a photo cop ticket because of the flash that went off in the intersection on my way to the temple for a Primary activity...that just seems wrong.
  • I have so many closets, drawers, files, photos, bins, etc. that need to be organized...and I've been saying that for a year.
  • I need a new car in a bad bad way and can't seem to pull the trigger on such a HUGE purchase.
  • I just found a bin of baby onesies that I made for friends babies...and never sent. I'm seriously dying about that one. Any ideas for what to do with personalized onesies that will not fit the babies anymore (these are not common names)?! Any ideas on how to ask proper forgiveness for never sending the baby gifts?
  • I have a dog that I personally have been incapable of house training. I'll take ideas on that one too. I've HAD IT!!
The truth of the matter is that I'm just in one of those "overwhelmed mother" states. I'm sure it will pass by tomorrow.

26 comments:

Erika said...

Oh Kara!!! I'm so sorry it's one of those days. I was having one of those mornings this morning too. I have to admit I did chuckle at the photo ticket. That just seemed to kind of be the icing on the cake. I think you are amazing. Actually, I KNOW you are amazing. Here's to tomorrow ;-)

heather said...

I can empathize in every way...but I know you are an incredible person who is optimistic and you have a great heart. Just remember the song in Annie and know you're never alone! You are one of my faves.

Melissa P said...

I love to read your blog. I think every mom has one of those bad days every once in a while. If you get a chance read President Uchtdorf's talk on hope. Sorry, I am being preachy. Part of it is on my blog from Thursday. I was feeling this way after the elections. My blog is pageswords.blogspot.com if you want to read the part I have or you can read his talk called the infinite power of hope. It is very uplifting for a bad day.

Chris said...

All I have to say is...AMEN! I have been feeling the same way and it all just seems overwhelming. Thank you for sharing and I know that some of what you are feeling may all pass by tomorrow but even if it doesn't know that there are people all around you fight the same fights:)

diane said...

You are describing me in the first 3. I always put my foot in my mouth.
Tomorrow will be a better day.

Jake said...

I posted similar thoughts on Thursday. Now it's Saturday and I already feel better...

Bridget said...

Every mom has those days. Knowing that tomorrow will be better does help. Also having lots of reassuring comments on your blog post helps too. :)

Lindsey said...

Bad day stress was in the air today. I woke up feeling that exact same way! I am glad it WASN'T raining though... because that is what I like about Arizona!

♥Shally said...

I could copy and paste almost that whole list and add it to my OWN list of stuff.

I have way more to work on than you do!! You are always so put together and eloquent with your words...I can't imagine you "not saying things well".

Just the fact that you MADE personal onsies is a step that I haven't made it to yet!! :)

I think about doing stuff like that... then by the time I remember I want to do it, it is way too late.

You are awesome. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are a great mom and a great friend.

{{hugs}}

Kirkland's said...

Seriously what are you thinking? You are a wonderful person, mom and wife and I can't believe you are that hard on yourself. Sheesh, perhaps I'm too easy on myself! Sorry you are having one of those days...do you need a diet coke or an ice-cream? Perhaps a new purse? Always cures me. Love ya!

stacy said...

MAN! i hate it when it feels like there is just so much to fix or be done. it can get down right overwhelming. you are SO great! be good to you!

Linsey said...

Luckily, there is always tomorrow. I say give them the onesies anyway. My babies are out of their onesies but I would love one that was made especially for them that isn't irreparably stained. At least, that's me anyway.

Jen said...

Just know you are not alone! We all can relate to this post and have days (or weeks) like this. You need to give yourself a break! And in the wise words of my m-i-l Kath. "This too shall pass!" Thinking of you!

Unknown said...

Hi Kara -

It's raining here and I feel a lot like you!! So much, in fact, that I gave myself a migraine yesterday morning.

What God has been teaching me lately - being a mom is HARD WORK!!

Sorefam said...

kara, i seem to have been feeling like this A LOT lately. I keep thinking it will pass, but seems to creep back around! and i too go back and forth about our country. I know you are super busy but i'd love to chat sometime. Did i tell you matt's sent his CV to a group in Gilbert? not one of our top choices, but as least i would know one person there! miss you,
kristin

Julie said...

Lady I am right there with you. I can't seem to pick myself up these days. So call me and we can cry together. Just know that I love you for your messy house, disorganized drawers, your fast driving, and your awesome thoughts and conversations! You are one of my favorite people and I love you. You have so much that people admire. And the people that love you and know you could care less about your drawers, house, and late gifts. You are human, and a beautiful one at that!!

I was so down the other day that I truly almost called you. It was friday night and I didn't have your home phone number. I didn't want to call your cell in case you were out on a hot date with Paul. So I left it alone. I just needed some good Kara advice. I am over it now, but just know that you were the only one I thought I could call to help me feel better!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Wendi said...

Shally took the words out of my mouth.

Here's to better days!!!!

P.S. I read on Marcie's blog your comment about having a code to stop photo swiping. Could you email it to me as well??

MaryClaire Brown said...

glad to know i was in good company yesterday. i'm assumming that much like me...that post helped some, and waking up to a new day helped a lot. i hope today was much better.

queenieweenie said...

Hang in there Kara...tomorrow WILL be better..and if not, than the next day will.

We ALL have days like this so just know you're in good company.

Jen Frost said...

I can totally relate. It seems these past few weeks have been really hard on me emotionally. I feel like I never "measure up" and I don't have enough time to do it all and be the "perfect" Mom. I'm so glad each day I can try again. ;-) Call me if you need to talk to someone who can relate.

Mary and Colin said...

Kara,
Don't ever stop talking! I love you talking and you always say things just right and if they get you into trouble so what - at least you are alive and real and have an opinion! Your house is not a disaster - just the home of a lot of darling kids! One day they will be gone and you will miss the disasters! Closets, drawers, files, etc yell at us but really they all have fake cries! They never end and are eternal! You never really arrive and anyone who tells you, that it is completely possible is unreal in some area of their life. All any of us can do is keep trying and keep things in priority (what is really important here?) and then just deal with the reality of the imperfect world we live in. Our Father in Heaven must be able to deal with a lot of disorganization because out of it he creates beauty. But for us, conquering it all, takes time and trial and error and our Father in Heaven's help. We have to learn how to deal with it here on earth. I was never good at training a dog either. But I was really good at loving my six kids and thinking they are the best in the world. And so are you good at that. You are so much better at everything than I was at your age. You are totally awesome to me and I mean that from the bottom of my heart! The rain as you know is good some days and all things look better on a different day and you are amazing to put things into words and express what all women feel like on some days. I love what Milton said "who brought me hence will bring me thither" Probably not an exact quote but hey it means a lot to me. All I can do is put my trust in God and move forward. I believe it works! Love you and not really trying to advise you. ( I need advise from you) but just talking because I need the girl talk. Love mary

Lisa Cannon said...

You have the nicest mother in law. I loved reading her advice. I hope you are doing better already. You are such a sweet mother and friend. I hope tomorrow is a better day. Take Melanie's advice...buy something. Maybe that dream car???

Wayne and Carolyn said...

Kara, you are one amazing lady. I have always admired you for being so sweet, a wonderful wife and mom, and for all that you accomplish. I don't know where you find the time! We all have bad days...........even us older people. I remember being totally overwhelmed occasionally as the kids were growing up but before you know it you are all alone, like us, so enjoy the journey! Probably the best advice I could give you would be CHOCOLATE!!! And lots of it!

Wayne and Carolyn said...

Oops.it's me again. I forgot to say that Kelly threw out her shoulder AGAIN yesterday...the one she had surgery on 13 years ago...so she, a mom of 4 little kids, and her mom (me) are both feeling quite overwhelmed right now. I'm too old to take on 4 children so I hope she recovers soon.

Kimberly said...

Everyone has those days- hang in there!

Shawni said...

Oh Kara I wish I could have helped you out! It's funny because I have been thinking about you lately...I was just telling Dave how absolutely amazing I think you are. You are always so put together, you always make everyone feel comfortable with what you say...so keep talking!, you have the most gorgeous skin ever (he brought up that one, but I wholeheartedly agree), you've got some amazingly cute kids (I've been "looking" at them as I edit their pictures...boy howdy they are cute kids), and I love your opinions on things. Sometimes I'll be in a situation and wonder to myself, "How would Kara do this?" and it helps me out. You've just got this quiet confidence about you that I admire so much.

Anyway, know that I love you and couldn't feel more honored to call you my cousin! Let me know if I can do anything to help you...take your kids...get in gear and actually get you your pictures, etc....


Love, Shawni