Happy New Year!!!
Of course it is the time of year where we reflect on our life and choose things to change and/or improve. For the past few years I've chosen not to make a long list that will only make me feel guilty all year. I've decided instead to choose a word that I can apply to all areas of my life. A couple of years ago I chose PATIENCE. I'm still working on that one!
For 2007 my word has been SIMPLIFY. Although few things got more simple in my life, I do think I was better at realizing that I don't have to do as much as I usually do. It's okay if I buy Halloween costumes instead of make them. It's okay to say "No, I can't host a jewelry party." It's okay to order food for the big get together instead of make it all. It's okay that we have only decorated two rooms in our house after a year and a half. It has been one of the hardest years of my life and I really feel like I have been personally tested. I am always feeling like I'm not doing enough, doing it well, doing it cheerfully, pleasing my Heavenly Father. I've also been feeling a lot lately that I have a lot of untapped potential. Growing up I knew I could do anything and be anybody. It wouldn't say it was ego, just a healthy sense of confidence instilled by my parents and siblings. I find myself often wondering if there isn't more I should be doing. I don't think these feelings have helped me much this year, so my word for 2008 will hopefully give me a new perspective on things for myself and others.
G E N T L E is my word for 2008. I've been thinking about it for a few months and have come up with several ways I can apply this to life. First and most obvious is to physically be more GENTLE. I am one of those that walks fast, climbs stairs two at a time, throws the kids cups in the drawer while unloading the dishwasher, drives a little too fast, etc. Basically I'm a high energy, always running kind of person. I often tell myself to just SLOW DOWN and take a deep breath. I always feel like I'm running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. I'm too loud, and often don't think before I speak. I'm hoping my word will help me to relax, speak softer, move and think more GENTLY.
I am going to be more GENTLE with others, their feelings, and their circumstances. I had an experience recently that reminded me of this. I have always been grateful for my disdain of gossip. I find no pleasure in it and actually get very nervous and uncomfortable when I'm around people who engage in it. That being the case I was literally sick to my stomach recently when I returned from a fun night of dessert with some friends and realized that some of my comments about an individual had absolutely crossed the line into gossip. I was horrified with myself and wanted so bad to take it back. I had a hard time sleeping that night and the first thing I had to do the next morning was call all the friends I had been with and apologize. I wanted them to know that I was aware of how ugly the comments were. I also wanted them to know that after contemplation my comments were not a true reflection of how I felt about the individual and their situation. I was thinking to myself that I had NO idea what that person and/or family was going through and I was trying to make a judgment. I thought that I would hope that people would show compassion for me in a similar situation and not judge. I needed to be more GENTLE with people. My friends were really cute about my awkward apology and I was so glad that I let them know that was not the kind of person I was. I am going to be more GENTLE with others.
I am going to be more GENTLE with my kids. THEY ARE ONLY KIDS! I sometimes forget that they are learning as they go and I am their guide. I can't expect my 3 year old to act like I would in every situation. I can't expect my home to remain clean and clutter free with a 7, 5, 3, and 1 year old roaming around. I also need to be more GENTLE in my discipline. I don't hit my kids, but I raise my voice and get irritated more that I should. Sometimes I do grab and forcefully lead them to time out more harshly that I should. I need to be more GENTLE with their feelings and what's important to them in this stage of their lives. Mostly I want to be more GENTLE in my words and actions with them.
I am going to be more GENTLE with myself. Like I said previously this last year has been hard on me in so many ways. I don't think that my constant criticism of myself and lack of abilities in many areas is helping me a lot. I need to remember that we are all imperfect in different ways. I NEVER EVER thought I would compare myself with others in ways that I have this past year. I have always been confident and appreciated that everyone has different talents. I have found myself too often saying things like, "how does she do it?" Or, "if only I had it all together like so and so." I need to stop that and count all the amazing and overflowing blessings I have. My kids will survive if I'm not going all out for every event, holiday, and milestone. I truly admire those who are so organized and have so much energy to make every day an event for their kids. I'm not like that and I need to accept it. There are a lot of things I do right, and a lot of things I don't. As long as I continue to try to work on those things that need improvement, that's all I can do. I am going to be more GENTLE with myself.
I could go on and on about the ways to apply this word...the environment, family situations, my body, finances, but you get the idea. The point is that it is MY word for the year and I am going to try to apply it in all facets of my life. I am so grateful for friends and family that love and support me. I am so grateful for a testimony of my Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. I know that there is nothing that I can't accomplish with His help. Now I just need to get out there and DO MY BEST!

17 comments:
You are such an inspiration to me. I don't even know you (without the Blog) and I compare myself to you. I have been doing that a lot lately. Thanks for your Blog and your wonderful words of encouragement.
Thanks for that post, It made me think that I need to be more gentle, too! I do a lot of the same things you do, so you've inspired me to be more gentle in my life.
That is a beautiful post Kara . ..thank you for inspiring me to do the same. I need to reread your post about once a week.
My word popped into my head a few weeks ago while lying in bed. It is not too different from yours.
You really are an amazing girl and do so many things that inspire me to be better,
HAppy New Year!
I always look forward to reading your stuff...you and I are on the same wavelength a lot of the time.
You should do some follow-ups on this. Tell us how you are doing, how you are learning it, how you feel about it. I would LOVE that.
Kara
I think the world could use a lot more "gentleness". I love your thoughts as usual and share many of them. You must be my sister. Your simply amazing in many ways and don't give yourself credit. I watch you and ache a bit while doing so. You are in a tough stage. I have been right where you are. Hold on girl. Your doing a fantastic job. I love you. (I'm thinking it is a good thing I don't blog. It is soooo addicting. I would loose so much sleep). I thought I would just browse your blog cuz I wasn't tired. I've been at it for 3 hours now linking to people I don't even know. I guess I will count it as free therapy. See you in the morning! Love you Heather
Your word is fantastic! I love it. I totally relate to all the things you feel. You are so not alone in your feelings. It is so hard to not compare yourself to others...especially when you feel like you aren't doing as well. Just remember that things aren't always what they seem on the outside. I have had to simplify a lot of things...after the 3rd baby. I stopped making homemade cards, I buy treats most of the time instead of trying to make the most fantastic dessert everytime for a party, I don't try to "fix" every situation that I have no control over. It has helped me a lot....and I survived! Good luck with your 2008 goals! I think you are well on your way!
Kati
priceisrightfamily.blogspot.com
GENTLE is such a beautiful word. What a great focus for the year. I'm still trying to decide what my word will be for the year, I'm going back and forth between two. Hopefully, it will hit me soon. Thanks for the Firefox tip. Blogging hasn't skipped a beat. I'm so excited about this whole iMac thing. I'm already running with it better then I ever ran with my PC. Romey is always begging to iChat with Ella. We need to let them do it often. Seriously, I organized 2,000 photo's in a few hours. I also realized that I haven't developed a picture pretty much since I went digital. That could be expensive.
Wow! What a great, heartfelt post. I love you honesty in everything you do and admire you in so many ways!
What an incredible idea. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I can totally relate with everything you said. I think this is a great way to do your resolution. I can tell you are an amazing person, simply by your care and concern for these things....keep moving forward!
great word! i love seeing the different words everyone is choosing! I often think about what a mother should be and gentle is at the top of the list.....something i could definitely work on!
Oh Kara! I love your word! I've been mulling mine over, trying to condense my concept, and "gentle" comes very close to my thoughts, too. Your explanation is phenomenal. What a worthy goal!
And I was applauding as I read the "simplify" paragraph! It IS okay to buy those halloween costumes! That made me giggle so hard because I had to come to terms with that exact same thing! :)
Thanks for the inspiring words, Kara. With tomorrow being the first Sunday of the new year I'm going to steal some time up in my bedroom to figure out my own word for the year. How great to start a new year out all fresh and new. I love your thoughts on "gentle." Talk to you soon!
Kara-
I thanked you on the Pink Christmas page underneath the gift you gave me but wanted ti thank you here.
I LOVED my gifts! I love color and texture and so the gifts you gave me were PERFECT!
Thank you so much for the time and thought you put in to them! :)
Dana
Wow, I loved this. I may use this for me this year, too. Thank you for putting this out there for everyone to see and use.
And thanks for your book suggestion. I am going out and buying the series tomorrow. Any more suggestions? Thanks!
I love your post. I have been so hard on myself and struggled a lot this year too. It has never occured to me to be more gentle on myself. I definately need to simplify and be more gentle. Thank you for sharing. It is just what I needed.
Caroline
What an inspiring post Kara! And gentle is just one of those words that says so much without saying anything else at all. Yet you seemed to give even more worth with your post. I love it! I need to remind myself to be more gentle too. Thank you
You are so positive about the people around you, and genuinely loving. You probably only need to be gentler on yourself!
It is a good reminder, though. Adoration and adulation...underrated. xo
Post a Comment